• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Left handed flintlock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Product19

32 Cal
Reaction score
I shoot left handed and was considering a Kibler kit. But Kibler rifles confirmed they make no left-handed kits. Is this really a non-issue? The only thing I really worry about is getting a face full of powder with my face on the same side as the lock. Less important is the cheekrest will be on the wrong side but would it really matter?

Nope, I shoot lefthanded all the time. If you don't wear glasses, just get a decent pair of shooting glasses, which one should be wearing regardless when shooting anything, left or right. Having the lock and flash close to your eye happens with double barrel flint or percussion shooters. This one is on my bucket list, check out the video.

Not an issue. Am a fellow lefty and not an issue. Just was a big thread on this topic last month I believe. It is a right handed world. We lefties adapt and overcome. Lock, pan and powder are 8" in front of your fwce or more.

I am also a southpaw n all of mine are RH. Flintlocks n perc. . With my right eye closed while i sight, i found no trouble. I had thought about the Flintlocks prior to my buying them in RH. I actually think we are better off, as we don't see all of the sparks n so when it fires. I have no flintch even with a hang fire

I shoot left handed and was considering a Kibler kit. But Kibler rifles confirmed they make no left-handed kits. Is this really a non-issue? The only thing I really worry about is getting a face full of powder with my face on the same side as the lock. Less important is the cheekrest will be on the wrong side but would it really matter?
FWIW for the purchase price of a Kibler kit, if you are patient & shop around you should be able to find a decent, swamped barrel LH longrifle for $1K+.

I know of 2 recently, both quality builds, a LH Issac Haines for $950 with tiger-striped stock and a LH 54 Early Virginia for $1200. Last year I bought a mint LH 40-cal made by Tip Curtis for $1200.

PM me, as the Buyer of that IH ‘may’ sell it!

I am not a leftie, and was the proponent for left-handed guns for left-handed people in the aforementioned thread a month ago or so. I am not one of those misguided/sadistic Catholic nuns with rulers trying to "train" left-handedness out of children and causing all kinds of developmental problems, but I stand by what I posted. Yes, you can adapt, but why would you choose to? There are left-handed scissors out there and left-handed bolt rifles and left-handed all kinds of things... and they are not all like the left-handed screwdriver. They wouldn't make those without a reason. If I had to, I suppose I could shoot a left-handed flintlock from my right shoulder, but honestly, if that was the only gun available to me, I would shoulder it on my left shoulder and learn to shoot it left-handed. It can be done.

OK, let the flaming begin...

I'm left handed and I refuse to adapt when I don't have to. I will gladly spend more to get a gun that fits me, than adapt and always feel awkward. All my muzzleloaders are left handed. I will never fire a right handed muzzleloader. If Kibler doesn't produce a left handed muzzleloader, then that to me would make the choice for me. I'd buy elsewhere. If Kibler doesn't care about left handed shooters, why should you give them your money? It's as simple as that IMO.

You can find left handed flintlocks on online auctions from time to time. I got this for a left handed friend a year ago on an icollector auction in Canada for a bit over $500 Canadian. Looks like we have another keen flintlock shooter. 36 cal.

john.k.Taylor January 22 2023

Attachments

• 80E9DF78-068B-4BB1-AF7A-C8D2A4A1F9C4.jpeg
    80E9DF78-068B-4BB1-AF7A-C8D2A4A1F9C4.jpeg
    828.1 KB · Views: 0
I'm a left eye dominant right-hander. I recommend finding a left hand rifle. I have found that I can't line the sights up correctly on many right-handed rifles. This is do to architecture, cheek piece, cast, etc. I have had several right-handed shooters lecture me with the "makes no difference" theory. When offered to shoot my gun they refuse the offer. I have actually had a few accept my offer only to hand the gun back after shouldering it.

What he said. I am right handed and left eye dominate. Shooting a handgun with the non dominante hand is challenging. But a rifle you are not trying hard enough.
I have both left and right handed rifles no problem switching back and forth.
I'm a left eye dominant right-hander. I recommend finding a left hand rifle. I have found that I can't line the sights up correctly on many right-handed rifles. This is do to architecture, cheek piece, cast, etc. I have had several right-handed shooters lecture me with the "makes no difference" theory. When offered to shoot my gun they refuse the offer. I have actually had a few accept my offer only to hand the gun back after shouldering it.

i am a committed left hander. when i started shooting muzzleloaders it was difficult to find an off the shelf lefthanded gun so i bought a kit from Track of the Wolf, but even he has stopped stocking left handed guns. the current build came from jim chambers. TVM, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders list all the guns in a left version. try them

Product19

FYI: The Buyer of that LH Issac Haines I mentioned may sell it. If they do, I will let you know. They'd only be selling as they "have too many" ... not a bad problemo to have ...

Thanks for the info guys. I’m thinking I might buy and build one of TVMs lefty flintlocks.

I have both LH and RH rifles. The flints are LH including a custom made Lancaster rifle. I really don't notice the difference like I thought I would as I shoot my cap locks from either side. It matters much more to me with chain saws. A lefty using a RH chain saw has some nasty rotating teeth lined up with treasured body parts.

Thanks for the info guys. I’m thinking I might buy and build one of TVMs lefty flintlocks.
Just one word of caution with that. Inspect the heck out of that stock when you get it. Then have somebody with experience inspect it. Heck, post pictures here of all the inletting. If it isn't up to good standard send it back. You'll spend more time fixing than building and the one TVM kit I've done is the last. I would have been better off just scratch building that one too. The kit did NOT save any time or effort.
I'll give benefit of doubt and figure maybe somebody in the shop just had a bad day, or somebody needed a refresher course on using the router, but the further I got into it the more I wish I'd just went with a plank.

Back