• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left-handed cavalry pistols (or carbines)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyuzu

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have heard (and this is strictly hearsay) that the reason the French Mle. 1892 revolver had a right-side swing-out cylinder was because the cavalry troops equipped with it were expected to wield it in the left hand, and reload with the right.

The Mle. 1892 is irrelevant to our forum as a cartridge gun, but it did get me thinking, does anyone here know of muzzle-loading cavalry pistols (or even carbines) that were made with left-handed locks? I'd be interested to hear about them (and no, I'm not expecting muzzle-loading era cavalry to follow the same doctrine as 1890s French cavalry; I'm just curious if left-handed firearms for cavalry were produced).

Last edited:
TMK there were no left-hand action single-barrelled flintlock or percussion lock firearms made during the time they were in use. In those days and indeed, even as recently as last week, being left-handed was not an option in most countries, where it was looked upon as a sign of association with the forces of evil and the 'debbil'.

TMK there were no left-hand action single-barrelled flintlock or percussion lock firearms made during the time they were in use.

I'm pretty sure I came across a photo of a left-handed percussion shotgun at one point. But that seemed to be a custom-made thing, maybe for some sportsman who'd had an unfortunate accident...

In those days and indeed, even as recently as last week, being left-handed was not an option in most countries, where it was looked upon as a sign of association with the forces of evil and the 'debbil'.

Interesting then that the French cavalry would be taught to shoot left-handed in the 1890s (if that story is indeed true...)

Hi,
I I cannot think of any military issued models that had left hand locks. That would require a completely different manufacturing set up for the stock, breech, and lock, something that would add expense. However, there are left hand examples of civilian arms. J. P. Beck made a pair of pistols with one having a right and the other a left hand lock. The are other pairs of pistols that are similar but the practice was never common.

dave

Good point about manufacturing costs, dave. I can definitely understand if there were no military issue arms during the muzzle-loading period with left-handed configuration. The anecdote about left-handed French cavalry (and right-side cylinders being made) just raised my curiosity, so I thought it was worth asking.

I'm right handed, left-eye dominant. I can shoot a pistol with either hand and rifles I've always shot left handed since I was a kid with a BB unmentionable. I've always shot right handed unmentionables and the muzzleloaders I have had have all been right handed as well. The build of the stock and the lock on the right hand side have always felt natural to me because it's the only thing I've ever known. I can shoot long guns right almost as well, but any cheek swell on the stock feels weird, like I can't get over the sights enough. The few times I've shouldered a weapon built for a lefty, or thumbed back a hammer on the left side of a weapon has felt strange too.

I guess it's what you get used to, so I don't see any real reason there would be a call for lefty military weapons if right handed weapons felt normal because that's all that was available to most. Maybe the spark from a flintlock shot lefty being so close to my face might change my mind though. All my muzzleloaders have been percussion and I last fired a sparky when I was about 14 and don't remember.

I'm pretty sure I came across a photo of a left-handed percussion shotgun at one point. But that seemed to be a custom-made thing, maybe for some sportsman who'd had an unfortunate accident...

It is interesting that I observed, during my tour of the Museum of the Steamboat Arabia in Kansas City, MO, two shotguns that were recovered from the sunken steamboat that appeared to be lefthanded.
IMG_2813_3 guns.JPG

The glass added some distortion to the barrels. But, the two top guns sure do appear to be left handed, round barreled shotguns.

Yes, I know the ship sank in 1856.

To paraphrase a famous document - 'No believamentation without documentation'.

See the post by 'Patrick': http://surplused.com/pistol-french-revolver-mle-1892/

It seems, from his source, that reloading was to be done with the gun in the left hand, but shooting in the right hand. That clears things up a bit re: lefty weapons anyway...

I think the left-hand pistol shooting thing is because the right hand was used for the saber while mounted. Which needed to be strong-hand to manipulate.

I don't know anything about cavalry doctrine from the period, but that sounds believable to me...

Last edited:
It was cavalry doctrine up and through the Civil War. Note how the sabers and pistols were carried in that conflict, even when revolvers were more in use.

Back