• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lee REAL bullets in pistols?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Traditions Kentucky. 50cal muzzleloading pistol and was wondering if anyone has used the Lee REAL 320gr. bullets in such a pistol? I have the Lee combo .490 roundball / REAL bullet mold and use both in my Hawken rifle thinking I could use both in my pistol as well. Could it be to heavy of a projectile? If anyone has used it I would greatly appreciate any info on your use how much powder.

i shoot the lee .50cal 250grn in my traditions trapper flintlock with 30grns fffg goex. shoots great to amazing.
i have shot the 370 grn maxi balls in it also and shot them just as well but that's a lot of lead to waste on paper.

i shoot the lee .50cal 250grn in my traditions trapper flintlock with 30grns fffg goex. shoots great to amazing.
i have shot the 370 grn maxi balls in it also and shot them just as well but that's a lot of lead to waste on paper.
I have the same pistol on the way. Ever used ffg in it for the 250 REALs? That's what I have in abundance for the rifle and I don't really feel like ordering up fffg just for the pistol. As it is, my Deerhunter and the Pederoli 20ga SxS flinter that's being made both use ffg and 5/8" flints. it would be nice to keep a standard going. Maybe 35 grains of fffg?

wm

naw, fffg is the only bp i've ever used in any of my black power firearms since 1975. it sure works well in the pan on the trapper. never had anything but seemingly simultaneous firing.
i don't see why ffg wouldn't work well in the barrel but i don't think it will do well in the pan.

The shorter real may perform ok, thats the 250 grain. Traditions have deep rifling so you would want to use a lubed wad under the projectile to get the best seal. They shoot real well with round ball, mine is very accurate.

Welp, the Trapper showed up today. Headed to the range tomorrow. The weather is going to be perfect, new pistol to try out and a large sounder of pigs was seen just above the range this morning. Since ordering, I found a supply of 3f Swiss for the Trapper and I have a whole grunch of 250 grain REALS to shoot and a Lee .490 RB mold on the way.
Gonna be a GOOD day!

wm

Welp, the Trapper showed up today. Headed to the range tomorrow. The weather is going to be perfect, new pistol to try out and a large sounder of pigs was seen just above the range this morning. Since ordering, I found a supply of 3f Swiss for the Trapper and I have a whole grunch of 250 grain REALS to shoot and a Lee .490 RB mold on the way.
Gonna be a GOOD day!

wm
Ya got a nice supply of lead heading your way too ;) Have fun!

Spent the day hunting pigs and trying out this Trapper...not at the same time though.
To answer the question, absolutely yes. Like "bore-cutter" said, this gun shoots 250 gain .50 caliber REALs just fine.
I used 25 grains of either 2f or 3f (it really didn't matter) and a felt wad with olive oil. I swabbed every ten rounds and the tenth was like the first. Half a dozen of the folks at the range tried it too. Most had never fired a rocklock before and many hit the 25 yard plate to their delight.
I didn't save any targets due to just getting it sighted in and getting used to it but four of my shots made a two inch stringing group at 12:00 as I trimmed down the front sight. Loads of fun and relatively economical to shoot.
The really nice thing is that it uses the same 5/8" flints, powder and projectile as my Deerhunter. Handy!

wm

Back