• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee REAL bullets in .54 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
Went to the range today and tried some of these for the first time. I cast them up the other day, lubed them with shortening, and headed to the range. They are the 300 grain .54 Lee REAL bullet, that actually weighed about 312 grains cast of pure, soft lead. The two test rifles were an Investarms Hawken I've had since 1977, with a 1 in 48" twist and a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, with a 1 in 65" twist. Both these rifles shoot PRB's very accurately, as long as the powder charge is kept to a moderate level, about 80 grains or less. Any more and they burn patches and lose accuracy.

I shot the RMH first, and was very pleased with the results. 60 grains of 3F Triple 7 (black powder was hard for me to get before Goex shut down, so I save what I have left for my flintlocks) gave an average velocity of 1400fps, great consistency and a ragged one hole group at 75 yards. Upping the charge to 75 grains (volume for all loads) gave 1550fps, same ragged one hole group and same POI. Upping to 100 grains, which I did not really enjoy, gave 1800fps, opened the group to about 3.5" and impacted about 6" higher than previous loads. Still a usable group, and powerful, buy completely unnecessary for deer.

The Investarms Hawken (28" barrel), shot very accurately with the 60 grain load. Didn't try the 100 grain load in the shorter barrel and lighter rifle. The 75 grain load was about an 8" "group", but the 60 grain shot a cloverleaf at the same distance. Velocity for 60 gr. was 1340fps, and 1480fps for the 75 gr. load. Both rifles shot to the same point of aim as PRB's, with the exception of the 100 grain load in the RMH. The bullets were a very tight fit in the Pedersoli, but quite loose in the Investarms. Might explain the loss of accuracy with the higher powder charge in the Investarms. Just throwing out this info for whoever cares. Still mostly gonna shoot PRB's.

They shoot great in my White Mountain Carbine .54, can't wait to try them out on a deer soon

I got 1800fps with my 250gr .45 caliber REAL bullets lubed with liquid alox over a prelubed felt wad and 90gr of Goex fffg in my Model 120A InvestArms Hawken rifle. Thing is that the factory adjustable sights had a wandering zere from the recoil, so I had the new Lyman 57 GPR rear sight installed.

Latest posts

Back