• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee REAL bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone has any experience in using a Lee REAL bullet in their rifles? Going to see how it works in my Traditions St Louis Hawken. 50 cal .Does it clean the bore while shooting or is that false. I'm waiting on a Lee mold that's a combo .490 round ball and a 320 grain REAL bullet. Guess if the REAL bullet doesn't perform I can always just use the round ball.

I really like the Lee REAL projectiles...The bullet molds come in 2 weights per calibre. There is the standard heavy conical and they also have a lower weight mold that produces a shorter stubbier projectile.

Here's what I've found:
I have a couple of guns that have a slow twist rate perfect for RBs. I've found that if I shoot the lower bullet weight conical in these guns; they are very accurate. The lower bullet weight produces a conical that is short and stubby, seems to stabilize nicely in those slow twist guns. It's just right.

I really like the Lee REAL projectiles...The bullet molds come in 2 weights per calibre. There is the standard heavy conical and they also have a lower weight mold that produces a shorter stubbier projectile.

Here's what I've found:
I have a couple of guns that have a slow twist rate perfect for RBs. I've found that if I shoot the lower bullet weight conical in these guns; they are very accurate. The lower bullet weight produces a conical that is short and stubby, seems to stabilize nicely in those slow twist guns just right.
I'm looking forward to try it out. Waiting impatiently for the mail. Received an email saying that it will arrive later than expected, but is on it's currently in transit to the next facility. I hate the wait.

...that little semi-hollow point on the REAL Bullets also does nice soft tissue expansion on Deer & Elk sized game.

Maxi Balls will shoot through on soft tissue, the Lee REAL Bullets expand and produce great results.

IMO, if someone is shooting a soft, pure lead bullet, they don't need to have a "hollow point" in its tip.
That big lump of lead will mushroom all by itself when it hits something.
Not my experience with conical bullets...the maxi-ball will shoot strait through soft tissue and not upset and expand. Though I never recovered those bullets, the entrance and exit wounds were nearly identical, meaning almost zero expansion.

RBs mushroom great...

Not my experience with conical bullets...the maxi-ball will shoot strait through soft tissue and not upset and expand. Though I never recovered those bullets, the entrance and exit wounds were nearly identical, meaning almost zero expansion.

RBs mushroom great...

It's going to depend on your hardness and the velocity you're pushing it. If you're more of an elk hunter than deer Maxi-ball would be a better option I believe. Broadside on a deer I could see how it would punch through like that.

Elk

Softlead will upset at any reasonable velocity once it impacts a resistance. It surface area of the projectile and the resistance of the target will determine how much the bullet will upset.

Rbs hit as a dome with a large surface area and readily flatten against most any target type. I don't think that I've ever recovered an RB that wasn't flattened.

But the bullet design of the T/C maxi-ball just allows the conical to push through and through on soft tissue with very little expansion. It didn't take long for me to learn that if I didn't want to track an animal over a possibly long distance, shoot into the front shoulder and try to dead center the bone. Great expansion, projectile always flattened and mostly recovered right under the skin of the opposite side.

Last edited:
...that little semi-hollow point on the REAL Bullets also does nice soft tissue expansion on Deer & Elk sized game.

Maxi Balls will shoot through on soft tissue, the Lee REAL Bullets expand and produce great results.

Where are you getting your REAL molds? I have several and NONE of them have a hollow point, dimple or ANY such nonsense. They ALL have a flat meplat, or nose if you will. An under powder wad is essential. And they do come in 2 weights, the heaver one for fast twist.

I bought them maybe 10 or 15 years ago...right after they advertised the design. I'll see if I can dig some out and post an image...I don't think the design changed?

Where are you getting your REAL molds? I have several and NONE of them have a hollow point, dimple or ANY such nonsense. They ALL have a flat meplat, or nose if you will. An under powder wad is essential. And they do come in 2 weights, the heaver one for fast twist.

I always had problems getting the charge to ignite when I used an under powder wad. By the way I am sure you meant an over powder wad.

I believe you meant to say OVERpowder wad? And yes. They certainly help imprive accuracy. My experience with REAL bullets.

wm

Back