• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lee REAL bullet lube issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, dragging my TC 54 Hawken back out from the safe as I've been using the 50 cal flinter the last few years. I liked shooting REAL bullets with it for moose. I was using TC yellow wonder lube but if the rifle was loaded for a day or so the lube seemed to leak into the powder and it wouldn't fire. Any thoughts on a different lube to use?

That stuff usually stays put unless it is warm out. Around these parts summertime use would be a no go but I’ll set season would most assuredly be ok unless it was an extra warm day and the barrel was in direct sunlight.

Anybody make their own. Looked at TOW and they are $13.00 for 1000, and shipping is $60.00 Canadian, plus duty so will be over $100.00!!! shipping alone

I have used home made Dura Felt wads soaked in 50/50 bees wax and Crisco under naked and aloe tumbled REAL bullets out of a .54 Renegade. I don’t know what it would cost to source some Dura Felt up there but it is handy stuff to have for this hobby.

Hi All, dragging my TC 54 Hawken back out from the safe as I've been using the 50 cal flinter the last few years. I liked shooting REAL bullets with it for moose. I was using TC yellow wonder lube but if the rifle was loaded for a day or so the lube seemed to leak into the powder and it wouldn't fire. Any thoughts on a different lube to use?
Find the TC yellow lube probably best saved for lip balm or hand cream. Some apparently love the stuff as a bullet or patch lube, but there are so many reports of problems of one type or the other.

There are plenty opinions and formulas for bullet lubes out there. Personally, when needing a muzzleloader bullet lube, I use one published in a 1943 NRA American Rifleman Magazine. Started using it in the 1970s and have no reason to use any other lube today. I am sure some will argue about it’s effectiveness, but this formula was published when there were still a lot of original blackpowder guns in use. And it has worked great for me. As I have read and was was told, use 40% Mutton Tallow, 40% Paraffin, 20% Pure Beeswax. Easy to source ingredients and make.

You can also go the belt and suspenders route and place an oversized dry felt wad under your lubed bullet and/or whatever else you load to protect your powder, no matter lube. For a 54 caliber I would be using a .625” diameter wad cut from something like 1/8” thick hard felt from a supplier like Duro-Felt. Just suggest an honest felt with no synthetic ingredients.

Plenty of options out there.

Last edited:
Find the TC yellow lube probably best saved for lip balm or hand cream. Some apparently love the stuff as a bullet or patch lube, but there are so many reports of problems of one type or the other.

There are plenty opinions and formulas for bullet lubes out there. Personally, when needing a muzzleloader bullet lube, I use one published in a 1943 NRA American Rifleman Magazine. Started using it in the 1970s and have no reason to use any other lube today. I am sure some will argue about it’s effectiveness, but this formula was published when there were still a lot of original blackpowder guns in use. And it has worked great for me. As I have read and was was told, use 40% Mutton Tallow, 40% Paraffin, 20% Pure Beeswax. Easy to source ingredients and make.

You can also go the belt and suspenders route and place an oversized dry felt wad under your lubed bullet and/or whatever else you load to protect your powder, no matter lube. For a 54 caliber I would be using a .625” diameter wad cut from something like 1/8” thick hard felt from a supplier like Duro-Felt. Just suggest an honest felt with no synthetic ingredients.

Plenty of options out there.
Not much mutton around here but I bet good pork leaf lard or even hard deer fat would work. Some good ideas to try here.

Not much mutton around here but I bet good pork leaf lard or even hard deer fat would work. Some good ideas to try here.
I see you are in the Great White North, so I can not comment on local availability, but in the past I have gotten mutton tallow from local butchers. In our modern I want it now world, I have picked up a few pounds from the good folks at Duro-felt, though for you questions are can it be shipped to you with minimal pain, if currently available.

Taking another path, I’ve used rendered lamb fat as a substitute (bride likes lamb chops) with almost as good results as with mutton tallow, at least in my opinion. Unfortunately, the few pounds that I had were purged, even though they were stored in the so-called beer/bait fridge by the previously mentioned bride during a ‘clean up’, so I have limited actual data. My stock of raw lamb fat is building, and unless there is another purge, I may have data on how well the stuff works. Maybe….

I use an over powder wad with my mini's to prevent the lube from "wetting" the powder. It should work for the real's as well.

Anybody try those little felt pads you put on chair legs. Might have to machine a wad punch. Muzzleloader supplies are hard to get up here and shipping from the US kills us.
I use Duro felt for anything I think needs a wad. A lifetime supply is not very expensive.

Thought about the chair pads you mention , they are made with synthetic material not wool. Pretty sure they would melt and make a mess.

Don

Anybody try those little felt pads you put on chair legs. Might have to machine a wad punch. Muzzleloader supplies are hard to get up here and shipping from the US kills us.
No need if you have a Harbor Freight near by They sell (CHEAP) hole punch sets $15 .00 enough punches to cover 3/8 to 1 inch every caliber you have and Dura Felt ships/Ed

Recipe for patch or bullet lube from, Fur, Fish and Game magazine in the 1970’s. 2 ounces of bees wax, 8 oz. Of castor oil, 2 oz. Of MURPHY’s Oil Soap. Recommend you do this on a grill outside. I use old soup can. Melt bees wax, add castor oil, stir well. Add MURPHY’s and stir until it froths up. Remove from heat, pour in small cans with covers. I use candle cans found in hobby stores. This works in all temps, good for patch or bullet lube.

I see you are in the Great White North, so I can not comment on local availability, but in the past I have gotten mutton tallow from local butchers. In our modern I want it now world, I have picked up a few pounds from the good folks at Duro-felt, though for you questions are can it be shipped to you with minimal pain, if currently available.

Taking another path, I’ve used rendered lamb fat as a substitute (bride likes lamb chops) with almost as good results as with mutton tallow, at least in my opinion. Unfortunately, the few pounds that I had were purged, even though they were stored in the so-called beer/bait fridge by the previously mentioned bride during a ‘clean up’, so I have limited actual data. My stock of raw lamb fat is building, and unless there is another purge, I may have data on how well the stuff works. Maybe….
I can get some lamb fat. Does anyone know why specifically mutton is used? I can get good hard beef tallow as well. I'm going bear hunting in a week too, might have some bear fat!

I cut wool felt wads. If im worried ill use a wade i lube sometimes a non lubed wad than a lubed wad nonlubed over powder then lubed wad then my projectile. Utah summers get warm

Back