• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lee molds, why I like them.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only Lee molds we have here are both round ball molds.
The rest are Lyman, Ideal, and Ranch Dog.

Been using the .440 mold since 2005, and the .454, Ive only used for the first time last month.
I have no complaints.

I’ve been casting my own for about two years now and have 5 different Lee molds. They are fairly inexpensive and are easy to use. They heat up quickly and all have worked well with no problems.

I rely mostly on Lee molds and own maybe a couple dozen of them. Some of my Lees are for bullets and some of my steel & brass molds are for round ball. I have a lot of dbl cavities but the only "gang" mold is a very fine Saeco 4 cavity mold. I don't use Lee exclusively but almost do.

How is the best way to prep a new set of Lee molds. I’ve got some and need to start casting round balls with them. It’s been years since I did any casting so I’m back into a learning mode to get the best results. Thanks.
elkhorne

Clean the mold cavity with acetone.

Very lightly lubricate handle/mold pivot points.

Smoke the cavity with a bee's wax candle.

Get the mold HOT. Get the lead HOT. 750 degrees.

After you pour a few bullets, the mold temp will even out.

Keep casting at a steady rhythm. Let the lead on top of the sprue plate frost over before whacking it.

DO NOT throw your scraps back in the pot. It will cool down the lead.

I just used isopropyl alcohol to clean mine, and smoke with a butane torch. Heating to approximately 400 F on a hot plate really made things easier, put it on the hot plate as soon as you start melting the lead so they are both hot at nearly the same time.

Very wise to have your own casting gear. And stock up on metal. Run a fan and do not inhale fumes.
Bought an industrial exhaust fan that fits in the window in my garage. Built a frame for it, fits nice, has "flaps" on the outside to keep the weather out. Cost about $50. I put the pot right under it, and all (ALL) of the vapors and fumes go out the window. I used to "pshaw" the lead fumes, but have got smarter.

David
NM

Oh, does Accurate make round ball molds? I don't think they do/can but might be worth checking.

I have used lee round ball molds for longer than I can remember, certainly more than 45 years. They were good and they've only gotten better. I have Lyman molds that I inherited. I've used them just as long. I use the lymans when I have to. The lymans leave a sprue-nub. No sprue with the lee and they cost 1/3 the cost of a lyman.

Lee round ball molds work pretty well as do their bullet molds. BUT, their minie style molds are marginal at best.

Latest posts

Back