• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leaving the barrel unprotected?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished a Lyman GPR .50 flintlock kit build, it came out just like I want :) but I wonder what ya'lls thoughts on leaving the barrel and other metal hardware unprotected ie no bluing or browning just clean and wipe with oil? I left mine bare because I have an older JH 1833 Hall flintlock and it has a bare metal finish that aged nicely thru the last 180 years , to get that older look on my GPR I actually let it sit for weeks in a damp basement with no oil and rust started to appear :) , its not even close to rusted but due to the damp basement it now has spots and speckles and I am happy and looking forward to more nature aging to appear..... Anyone else ?

Your rifle and your decision my friend. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Honest aged patina looks great to me!

There is a hundred different ways to achieve an aged look if you’re desiring to go down that path?

The only advice I would give is to be sure the inside of the bore is well protected if you’re gonna let the barrel sit in a damp environment.

I’m like in PeeWee football compared to some of the contemporary builders in this area. They’re the pro’s. Maybe they can chime in and steer you in the right direction to achieve the desired look you’re looking for?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
OK I’ll step on this land mine. Your Lyman is patterned after a rifle used by hunters in the West. As such a durable finish is appropriate. If you need to express an individual desire to express yourself then do what ever you need to. Reinventing a place or time should be to a logical and ordered attempt at doing it correctly.

What you are doing is browning the barrel. Don't matter if you put it in a damp basement or use some kind of solution. Its all the same in the end and it is only plain old rust. You are just doing it the slow way. If you want to have some fun you can wait until it is nice and even then dip it in boiling distilled water. Then you have a rust blue finish.

Hi,
I do all kinds of finishes on barrels depending on my objectives. A natural tarnish is fine and you can speed it up a little by applying instant cold bluing and rubbing that back with a Scotch Bright pad to a tarnish that suits. One issue with barrels that are still bright is that reflections and heat waves during shooting can obscure your sights.

dave

20191018_095136.jpg
I let my "bright " finished guns age naturally ........Blackpowder residue, hand oil, just natural use , etc. Will put a nice patina on the metal. It doesn't take long.

This well-used Pedersoli 1863 Springfield is how I like them to look. A well maintained, clean, non rusty but "experienced" look.

When I get a new repro musket or rifle, I hate that "fresh out of the box repro look " and I can't wait for them to get some "age" on them.......tarnished brass, dulled gunmetal, a little darkening on the wood from handling and blackpowder....then they're finally "right".

I know people will chime in "soldiers in the period were made to keep their weapons Bright " well ok, but we're not in The Period and this is a repro.

My "Armory Bright" 1816 Springfield repro is already developing a nice , honest patina and I clean it meticulously. I just don't Polish the steel.

People pay extra to have Uberti put the "Old West" finish on guns so if you want an aged patina on a rifle then go for it. It's yours, you own it, as long as people aren't harming original or collectible stuff who cares.

Last edited:
Ferric nitrate will leave a nice "experianced" finish on bare steel.
Excellent. There is also a solution list that you can achieve various colors.
https://www.sciencecompany.com/Ferric-Nitrate-100g-P6384.aspx
There's the list above to get just the right color.
Used in the following patina formulas:

Back