• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leavin' 'em loaded

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carl in France,

So no one has ever been victimized in either England or France while they were denied the use of arms? We both know that isn't true.

The different pages we are on are from different books. You were raised to believe that neither you nor any common man can be trusted with lethal force. Your king and queen, on the other hand, or those in uniform, or those hired to protect the wealthy.......they can be. This is accepted as "fact."

I know three English x-patriots and all three are opposed to owning a weapon, although they moved to a state with a very high percentage of gun ownership and gun carry. It's just how they were raised, it was drilled into them, and lessons taught from childhood are hard to overcome.
Correct you are. Just look up knife crime stats.

Tom A Hawk,

Exactly. One would have to carry a brace of BP revolvers to ensure decent reliability plus be handy with a large knife, club, etc.

The only way I can realistically foresee a BP revolver having merit for self-defense would be if local law prevented the ownership of modern weapons.

The man I mentioned earlier, who kept one or two loaded for home defense, he was an odd person anyone. He did not have a landline (this was the late 1990's mind you) so when someone called, they had to call his mother who lived next door. If the call was for him or his daughter, the lady would clang an old triangular bell like in a western movie's cattle drive chuck wagon.
WAIT A MINUTE! At least I have a phone......lol

The fact is, when there is one set of rules for the rulers and another for the common man, it's tyranny. No leader in Europe goes about without an armed security team, while they refuse even pepper spray for their subjects. The pope resides behind a high wall with a literal army of guards.

I've read similar stories and been told similar stories from friends in Europe.....I watched a rather hilarious video of several British police running away from a man armed with a knife. Somehow, that doesn't instill much faith in British policing for me.

Now in many US cities and states, that is fast becoming the norm. Glad I live where I live. Glad my state still supports the rights of the citizen not to be victimized.

I once met a guy that carried a single action revolver for self defense.....no wait......I've seen that recently.

I was in Walmart and saw a man, who was "the most fearsome man I have ever laid eyes on." He was maybe in his 50's, long grey hair, a few tattoos. He open carried in a shoulder rig. Colt Single Action Army-type of revolver under left arm, long bladed-knife under right, and a bandolier of 6 rounds in single loops across his chest. I so much wanted to speak with the man, pose for a picture, but he was clearly in a hurry and I had to finish my check out also. I did ask the clerk about it who said "we see open carry every so often and personally, I like it. We aren't allowed to be armed so when I see a guy like that I think 'maybe he'll do something if anything ever happens.'" I was concealed carrying that day so I know the clerk wasn't pandering.

I think with our friend who bowed out, he may not be aware of the news even though he lives there. News in USA absolutely caters to a narrative and suppresses news stories that run counter to that narrative. There may also be a degree of embarrassment going on.....denial. France used to be a much nicer place and so did England, not that way now. Nail bombs, trucks running over scores of people, shootings, mass shootings, "no go zones," attacks on women to the point they are encouraged "not to go out at night," cars running over people, machete attacks....ya....sounds like a "great vacation destination" to me. The import of millions of people with very different societal norms combined with zero trust in the populace is a recipe for lots of victims.

I read an English leader say something to the effect "no one needs a knife, ever." Wow, I misplace my pocket knife for a day and I freak. I used it just yesterday to open a package, to center punch a hole in door bell mount for drilling, and to cut a rope. Daily things for me. I saw a picture where English police had "confiscated a knife arsenal." OMGosh! It looked like a set of kitchen knives! How do they cut a steak over there?

I believe that the average is 3 three shots, but it is an average. Many are over in one shot and in some, a reload is needed or more than six shots are used. Don't reload, get two more.
I agree and have the same gun and load, except I load 30 grains. I squeeze down a OxYoke revolver seal on top the ball in both cylinders. I take my NMA and extra cylinder every time I leave my place and go into the "civilized world" and trust it with my life.

I agree and have the same gun and load, except I load 30 grains. I squeeze down a OxYoke revolver seal on top the ball in both cylinders. I take my NMA and extra cylinder every time I leave my place and go into the "civilized world" and trust it with my life.

Wait, what? You actually carry a black powder revolver for self defense? :eek:

Wow, there is a term for that, "bada**" I believe. My compliments!

Just because I don't agree with a person's choices doesn't mean I don't support their right to make that choice.

Tell me though, why percussion over self-contained cartridge?

Wow, there is a term for that, "bada**" I believe. My compliments!

Just because I don't agree with a person's choices doesn't mean I don't support their right to make that choice.

Tell me though, why percussion over self-contained cartridge?

Last edited:
A cap and ball gun would be my very last choice as a self-defense tool (for several reasons), but it would be infinitely better than nothing.
Armed combat beats unarmed combat every time. I used to could fight with my fists, but now I'm old and paralyzed and would need help from a small stainless steel and nitride coated mohaska if things get too hairy. An associate of mine, a rough hardworking man, said he used to carry a blade until he found out he could kill a man with his bare hands. I didn't think to ask him how he found that out, LOL!

To ALL:

What started as a test for a revolver left loaded for a long period of time has gone thru discussions about self defense, international gun laws, modern firearms and political comments so, I'm ending the discussion. I think that 74 posts is more than enough to be said on the topic so, before someone else starts violating the forum rules again, I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back