• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Leather workers and cordwainers, give us your awl...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
So, talk to me about awls. Best way to maintain profile while sharpening? Any tricks to keeping them sharp?
I have the better of the Tandy awls and like it mostly.
I would like an awl that is either thinner overall, or, that takes longer to taper to full width. Thus allowing a smaller hole.
What are your favorite awls? Source for a greater variety?

Thanks,
Dave

I have 3 or 4 awls, that my brother left me upon his passing. They are all Tandy brand I think, and one is considerably more 'pointed' as you describe. It is easier to use, making a smaller hole, and sharper. the others vary to almost 'round dull'. I use them all from time to time, and the dull ones open up holes well. I suspect my Marine brother sharpened the best of the lot. He was notorious for his sharp knives and edged weapon fighting ability. I only saw him sharpen them on a flat Arkansas stone, and I do too, rolling the point as it is dragged across the surface at the desired angle.

I strongly recommend the following book for anyone who wants to do any leatherwork at all as it covers almost all the leatherworking tools and their care and the illustrations are first class.

Leathercraft Tools by Al Stohlman
  • Paperback: 97 pages
  • Publisher: Tandy Leather Co.; 8.2.1984 edition (September 1, 1984)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1892214903
  • ISBN-13: 978-1892214904

I've heard of an awl that was used to plug a small hole in a leaky container to stop the leak. It was known as a "dam-it-awl".

:confused::eek::D

I've heard of an awl that was used to plug a small hole in a leaky container to stop the leak. It was known as a "dam-it-awl".

:confused::eek::D
"He who would pun would pick a pocket."

Steven Maturin, Master and Commander.

Spence

Latest posts

Back