• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather wads for smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot 1x2 inch folded paper as my go to wad. I’ve used yellow deer skin of about the same size but thicker. I would be more concerned about its ability to bens and fold more then the thickness

I have used leather wads for over forty years. I make mine out of leather scraps from a harness shop. I use anything from 1/8 to 3/16th. The cuffs of old welding gloves work nicely. For the softer leather I use them as is, for the harder leather I soak them in a 50/50 mix of alcohol and olive oil to soften them.

Leather is far better at sealing the bore if sized properly than paper style wads to include cardboard wads. Get yourself a wad cutter and have a machinist turn down the handle so it will fit into a drill press or hand held drill. It makes making the wads simple and efficient. All I use are leather wads and I can see the difference over the chronograph which cuts down on powder usage. They are also flexible which makes loading them easier than hard card wads. As of now I do not wax them with beeswax but I might start doing that with a trial run.

Same here. I only use leather wads in my gun. Lots of scrap leather around my place. And leather goods can be had from thrift stores for a song. Get a $12 dollar punch and you’re in business.
I think it was A Treatise On Shooting where the author tried different wadding but settled on saddle leather because “nothing drives so fierce”.
I’ll dig around for the page and quote

I think it was A Treatise On Shooting where the author tried different wadding but settled on saddle leather because “nothing drives so fierce”.
I’ll dig around for the page and quote
Pteryplegia: Or, The Art Of Shooting-Flying, George Markland, 1727:

Now search for Tow, and some old Saddle pierce:
No Wadding lies so close or drives so fierce.

Spence

Back