• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Strapping Questions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger94

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Everyone – I inherited from a close family friend several muzzleloading accessories that I would like to replicate. Unfortunately, I have no experience whatsoever. I am sure this post is going to make me come off like a nit-wit.

The first item is a necklace (not sure of the proper terminology). I have another primer horn & ball block, I just don’t have the faintest on how to make the necklace or where to get the supplies. Do companies sell the straps or do I cut them myself? If I cut them, do I use regular scissors?

I have several of these leather ?? tiedowns?? Do these have proper names? And in the above do I cut them from a sheet of leather?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me!

Ranger 94

Attachments

• IMG_0359 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_0359 - Copy.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0360 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_0360 - Copy.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 0
Those look custom cut. You can cut them with scissor but you have more control with exacto style knife and a flat hard surface
Crazy crow and Tandy sell strap leather but much is latago or thick, but check them out. Also Shipwreck beads or hobby lobby

Those look like they are cut from buckskin or similar rather than veg-tanned leather or latigo. Crazy Crow should have some hides graded as seconds that should work fine for this. You just cut it into strips as wide as you need, using whatever method works best for you. (I could never get a knife and hard surface as Tenngun mentioned to work for me, but I am generally a clutz. A decent pair of scissors will cut buckskin fine, at least for a while, but there is a knack to getting strips an even width that way.)

Everybody gets called a "nitwit" at some point. It kinda puts things in perspective for yuh. You can buy leather strapping at several locations... saddle shops come to mind if you are out West. I would look online though.

Hello Everyone – I inherited from a close family friend several muzzleloading accessories that I would like to replicate. Unfortunately, I have no experience whatsoever. I am sure this post is going to make me come off like a nit-wit.

The first item is a necklace (not sure of the proper terminology). I have another primer horn & ball block, I just don’t have the faintest on how to make the necklace or where to get the supplies. Do companies sell the straps or do I cut them myself? If I cut them, do I use regular scissors?

I have several of these leather ?? tiedowns?? Do these have proper names? And in the above do I cut them from a sheet of leather?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me!

Ranger 94
They be called WANGS in the group I hang with. 😉

Wandering Buffalo (I'm pretty sure that is the business name) might have some "wangs" or "thongs" like that pre-cut. They have have a really good YouTube video on making pucker toe center seam moccasins and he uses a similar piece of leather.

I find those very difficult to cut from that material. The leather is soft and squishy so wants to move. Scissors can leave little peaks and jagged edges where the cut starts and stops and as they squeeze the leather they can pull the leather to one side of a straight line because the blades are offset. A scary sharp knife following a metal straight edge can be a little better, male sure the hard surface you cut on doesn't have a grain structure the blade with want to think.
Better is one of those cutting wheels sold for cutting long straight lines in fabric or leather. Be careful,,, these are sharper than one might think.
They do sell lace cutters or ribbon cutters, but I here they take practice to use well and seem expensive for a project like this.

Best bet is buy one precut.

Latest posts

Back