• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather stacked knife handle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snubnose57

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a nice knife, made from a file. Just wondering how far back in time stacked leather handles goes.

Thanks. I hunt on public land here in North Texas, only shotgun and muzzleloaders allowed. While not a reenactor, the 1840s to 1850s is my main interest, and like my hunting accessories to match that era. That being said, I hope the deer don't mind to much being field dressed with a non H/C handled knife!

That being said, I hope the deer don't mind to much being field dressed with a non H/C handled knife!
:p
I don't think they'll care if it's a PAL RH36,, those high carbon blades are sweet, even today.
Just don't tell the dead deer your in 1840 and all will be good

Not gonna go back much farther than 1890. Stacked leather handles may have originated with Marble's(?).

Wish I new how to post pictures. Someone did a nice job making this homemade knife. Think I will leave it as is and enjoy.

I think Stophel Is possibly correct. Bill Scagel was using stacked leather in the 30's, maybe earlier, and Bo Randall was also.

I have a USN knife made by PAL that made it home with somebody from WW II. When I got it, the stacked leather grip had been wet and dried so many times it had developed a 3/4" gap which I filled by making and installing 4 new thick leather washers. The blade had also been badly rusted and ground on a coarse grinder. It was ugly when I got it. I reground the blade, polished it, and sharpened it up. It now has a blade that is about 4 7/8", and is my favorite sheath knife, for when HC does not matter. It holds an edge better than anything else I've got, and is a thick enough blade to be a good bush crafter.

I have a USN knife made by PAL that made it home with somebody from WW II. When I got it, the stacked leather grip had been wet and dried so many times it had developed a 3/4" gap which I filled by making and installing 4 new thick leather washers. The blade had also been badly rusted and ground on a coarse grinder. It was ugly when I got it. I reground the blade, polished it, and sharpened it up. It now has a blade that is about 4 7/8", and is my favorite sheath knife, for when HC does not matter. It holds an edge better than anything else I've got, and is a thick enough blade to be a good bush crafter.
My leather handle is about 30 years old now and when it gets a little rough looking I put a dab or two of neats foot oil on my hand and rub it in the handle. Not too much just a little. I rub it until it blends in good. This makes the handle come back to life. The one thing about leather and stag is when bloody they get a little slick.

I would suggest, on a dry or fresh made stacked grip, to saturate the leather with spar varnish. The real stuff if you can find it. The leather will be end grain and the varnish will go deep. Give a few coats thinned, then go to as it comes. Wipe off excess on the surface when it builds up to it. You might also try one the plastic varnish finishes, but I've never used them on leather.

Latest posts

Back