• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Leather sources

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there, done that…👍

958854DA-D6DD-4CC4-A288-ADDEF80A7DD3.jpeg

Dunno if this is the place for it or not, but....

Was recently doing some modifications to my possibles bag... actually, mounting a belt knife on the front strap.... but anyway, I needed to punch some holes, but not being a leather worker really, I only had rudimentary tools and did not want to use the awl from my Swiss Army Knife to make holes with if I could avoid it.

Rummaging around in my print shop stuff, I found my Japanese screw punch. This is a tool that traditional bookbinders use to punch holes for things like Japanese four hole stab bound books. This is a very traditional type of bookbinding not normally encountered by most people. In any case, my Japanese screw punch worked just fine on the leather I needed to put holes in.

If any of you leather-working folks want to try one, here is a link: Japanese Push Drill Set (Drill & 9 Bits) There is a knock-off sold on Amazon, but I'm given to understand that the quality is not the same. As I had hoped to print and bind my own books, I wanted a tool that would last more than one book, so I spent the extra dollars for the original.

Back