• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather sources

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When we travel down state to the "big city" I have been trying to purchase leather at craft shops with no luck. I don't find much but over priced scraps that are too small for much of any project. Where are some good online sources for leather?
Thanks, Stub

I know there are lots of places that sell leather on line. But like with any other products some businesses are better to work with than others. I just wanted a recommendation from someone on the forum that had good experiences with a company.

I've been doing leather work for re-enactors for almost 40 years.
It has been difficult over the last few years to find leather hides at a price I can make things and still give the buyer a decent price.
If you'll give me an idea of what you'd like to make I could help you find what you're looking for.

I love this place online called distant drums, their buffalo split hides are great, they have many colors to chose from including a simulated brain tan. They have good prices too. Heres the link; Distant Drums
I have dealt with them also but here's my problem with companies like them. They and many others like them are genres orientated, catering to this group here, and have higher prices.
Leather distributors sell only leather, no feathers, beads, ETC.
They have thousands of different types of leather at lower prices.
For the amount of leather, I use in a year, places like Crazy Crow and such just don't work out.

When we travel down state to the "big city" I have been trying to purchase leather at craft shops with no luck. I don't find much but over priced scraps that are too small for much of any project. Where are some good online sources for leather?
Thanks, Stub
Still in business is Tandy Leather.

I've been doing leather work for re-enactors for almost 40 years.
It has been difficult over the last few years to find leather hides at a price I can make things and still give the buyer a decent price.
If you'll give me an idea of what you'd like to make I could help you find what you're looking for.
Andy52,
I have worked with leather on and off since junior hight. I would consider myself a meat and potatoes leather worker!;-) mostly these days it means knife sheaths for the knives I forge. I still have some leather left that my folks brought up from Bolivia years ago. We knew where to buy what I used and it was less than a 1/4 the price here. But I’m running low. Also I am in need of making a few shooting bags this year. I was given an elk hide from my father in law this last Christmas witch may work for shooting bags but I feel it’s a little thin….
I would appreciate your input?
Aaron
A couple knives and sheaths.

Attachments

• BAD00754-1431-4B4B-91DD-F0E8D21356AA.jpeg
    BAD00754-1431-4B4B-91DD-F0E8D21356AA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 9FE297AA-BF7A-466F-BFE3-EBFFF254F43D.jpeg
    9FE297AA-BF7A-466F-BFE3-EBFFF254F43D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 8BCEA94E-79CB-4910-9868-A0E9D6D869B5.jpeg
    8BCEA94E-79CB-4910-9868-A0E9D6D869B5.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I am home now and want to thank everyone for their responses, I will check over recommendations tomorrow.
Earlier I was asked what I want to make. I don't have a project lined up, I just make small items as I need them. The largest things so far have been shooting bags for each of my guns. I'm thinking of making a cows knee and small bags for equipment I carry hunting.

Andy52,
I have worked with leather on and off since junior hight. I would consider myself a meat and potatoes leather worker!;-) mostly these days it means knife sheaths for the knives I forge. I still have some leather left that my folks brought up from Bolivia years ago. We knew where to buy what I used and it was less than a 1/4 the price here. But I’m running low. Also I am in need of making a few shooting bags this year. I was given an elk hide from my father in law this last Christmas witch may work for shooting bags but I feel it’s a little thin….
I would appreciate your input?
Aaron
A couple knives and sheaths.
For the sheathes a half-hide vegetable or oak tan will last a long time.
If you think your elk hide is too lightweight for a single layer and there's enough you can double it by gluing two opposite pieces together, when you do this there is no need for a liner.

Back