• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Leather Rifle Sheath at no cost.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is a case I made for one of my Hawkens. It is good heavy but soft leather and it cost me nothing at all. That is the sleeves from a well-worn women's jacket with the sleeves turned inside out, cut and sewed, The fringe is from other parts of the jacket. You can see that one sleeve is complete but the other makes up the two end sections. That was done to make the angle from butt stock to barrel use the angles of the sleeves at the shoulder without cutting and losing any length. The completed case contains my Uberti Santa Fe Hawken perfectly, with a drawstring [leather] to close the butt end. I'm cheap … well maybe I just like to be creative with what I have Around the house. ;)

Attachments

• PICT0535.JPG
    PICT0535.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 363
  • PICT0536.JPG
    PICT0536.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 349
OK guys, it's almost free [I had my wife's old jacket] but you have to do a little work … and creative thinking. First haunt thrift shops and garage sales. Maybe not free but I've bought several leather jackets for less than $10. That's a lot less than buying a case and often better leather. You can also make some great possibles bags. ball bags, etc. Give it a shot. Polecat

Brilliant, Dale! I think our frontier ancestors were the original recyclers, repurposing all sorts of things. As my dad told me, "They didn't waste nothin'." We have in the family an old "nail pouch," made from an old boot top that was cut off and fitted with a round wooden bottom which was nailed in place with old square nails driven through the leather and into the wood. It would hang from a carpenter's belt, or would stand on a flat surface... A very practical accessory. Plains Indians used "old tipi top" leather as a preferred backing for beadwork, and I've seen old hard-sole moccasins that clearly had the soles cut from old parfleche, with the painted designs still in place. They would "piece together" smaller hunks of leather, just as you did, to make a section large enough to complete the project.

That's a nice case! Well conceived and nicely made.

Good work!

Notchy Bob

Not long ago I found a really nice jacket that had been caught on something. One pocket was ripped and it tore the jacket front. It was really nice … probably elk … and I grabbed it for $3.00. Now what do I need for my collection? Dale :dunno:
Did you have any left over, Dale? Little scraps of that leather ought to make a nice strike-a-light bag or whetstone case, or maybe a a little belt pouch for the lady.

I have a hard time throwing away even the smallest pieces of nice wood or leather. Like the old guy who had a box in his workshop labeled, "Pieces of Wood Too Small to Save."

Notchy Bob

Did you have any left over, Dale? Little scraps of that leather ought to make a nice strike-a-light bag or whetstone case, or maybe a a little belt pouch for the lady.

I have a hard time throwing away even the smallest pieces of nice wood or leather. Like the old guy who had a box in his workshop labeled, "Pieces of Wood Too Small to Save."

Notchy Bob
Yes, I keep leather and wood that is "too small to save."

Back