• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

leather question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an old leather sling, about 70 to 80 years old. It is still in good condition but it is dry and starting to show some cracks. What can I use to help preserve the leather. The sling is original to an old gun that wont get used but will look nice with the rifle. Thanks, Steve

It will fail. Dry with crack not good. Grain integrity compromised. If you just like it it would be prudent to either make a copy or stitch another piece of equal leather to back also making new attach straps.

Any good leather dressing will restore the moisture to the leather and prevent further cracking. I've used Montana Pitch Blend, Huberds shoe grease, and various others like the mink oils. Never tried Crisco though. I save it for patches.

I have an old leather sling, about 70 to 80 years old. It is still in good condition but it is dry and starting to show some cracks. What can I use to help preserve the leather. The sling is original to an old German .22 that wont get used but will look nice with the rifle. Thanks, Steve

I have long had exceptionally good luck with WWI leather slings in that condition using either Lexol or Pecard's leather dressings, since the time they were only 70 to 80 years old and even more recently.

As others mentioned when found in that condition, one could no longer trust using them as a sling even after using the dressing, though. The ones I worked on were merely mounted on collector rifles to make them "complete." If you wish to actually use the sling, I also suggest making a copy to use.

Gus

Thank you for the suggestions on leather care. As mentioned, this sling is just for show and won't be used. The rifle is a high quality German made .22 Flobert parlor rifle from the 1930's. I doubt if I'll ever shoot it as the 6mm Flobert cartridges are about $60.00 per tin of 150. But it sure is a cute little gun.

Last edited:
Restoration on old and dry leather is not possible. But it can be somewhat preserved from further deterioration. With old leather I soak in pure Neatsfoot oil and leave alone. For display only it should be OK.

If only exhibiting cracks and not yet to the point of the smooth surface peeling away, conditioning with one of the many examples given will do the job. I have always used neatsfoot oil and then seal and polish with a conditioner.

Whether or not the sling can be preserved really does depend on how far gone it is already. I once tried to use neatsfoot oil on a leather sling that had started to dry rot. The sling dissolved in the the oil. But if the leather is merely cracked, any of the products mentioned above should help preserve it. One I have used for 25 years now with great results is Sno-Seal. It is a beeswax oil mixture. I've also used it to finish wood and as a rust inhibitor on metal.

Back