• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Leather Over Powder Wads.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-hunter

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I do a bit of custom leather work and have a huge supply of scrap leather...

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has ever thought of using leather for an over powder wad, but it seems to be working well.

I bought a cheap Chinese made 14 mm hole punch of the big online retailer and it seems to be just the right size for .54 caliber.

I shoot cast conical bullets and PRB's and I personally like a wad for both. I like to protect the base of the bullet with conical bullets and I like to protect the powder from a lubed patch with PRB's. The leather seems to be working great and seems to help with fouling.

Just thought I would share the FYI,

eXe6S0lh.jpg

azzzegsh.jpg

rWMKj0oh.jpg

It is a snug fit. I know leather can be a little abrasive to steel/metal finishes, but it being quite softer than steel it should be just fine on the bore. Time and thousands of shots will tell.

Happy shooting,

Todd

I lube the edges, Been using thick leather wads in shotgun for years, best op wad there is. Reusable too if you can find them back.
Leather is what pump seals were made out of before things like Acrylonitrile-Butadiene came along. Makes a great gas seal, much better than card wads.

I notice it looks like you're not getting clean cuts.

Instead of a Dead blow I use a regular 4lb engineers hammer and strike on the end grain of a large block of very hard wood. 6 lb would be even better.

I have been using leather wads for over thirty years with good results. I have found you will get cleaner cuts if you put a light cardboard (like cereal boxes) under your leather when punching the wads.
Gives you an overshot card as well if select the correct size and cut through the cardboard.

Leather is a good choice. I don't lube mine because they are naturally lubed. Rub it between your fingers and you can feel the natural oils.

Latest posts

Back