• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Leather nipple protector as safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn’t trust said leather as a safety if a cap was on the nipple. Just me. Do as you will but ALWAYS handle the gun as if there’s no leather dingy, as if a cap is in place and as if it is cocked and triggers set.

BrownBear said:
I won't do it. I get nervous at the thought of brush grabbing it and pulling out of there, letting the hammer snap into place on the cap. Might or might not set it off, but I'm not willing to place my bets on those odds.

I agree with the 'brush grabbing' potential. But, always the best and, IMHO ONLY real safety is the person handling the firearm. There was once an article in Muzzle Blasts (I believe written by Max Vickery) that touted carrying a loaded perc rifle while hunting with the hammer down on the nipple/cap. He tested and found it (near) impossible (never say "never") to ignite a cap that was down by hitting the hammer. On the rare occasions I carried a perc rifle while hunting that was my method. But I was always very cautious about the possibility of a brush grab. BTW, FWIW, I once came back to camp after a days hunt to find my Ruger Old Army, in it's open top holster, at full cock. :shocked2: Scary, I soon afterwards got a flap cover type holster for that piece.

I put a dense foam earplug on the nipple and set the cap on it, but it is for moisture protection. If I'm climbing into my treestand it doesn't get capped until I sit down, and gets uncapped before I climb back out. When still hunting I carry it capped and at half cock and will only cradle carry it. If it is wet (light drizzle, if it's raining hard I would rather just not hunt) I have had it capped and the ear plug sitting on it with the hammer down, but again more for a moisture reason. I don't view it as a safety device in any way.
*EDIT*--Oops, forgot I was several pages in and this was an old thread!

It is important to always treat a firearm as if it is loaded. I would consider a piece of leather or other item over a loaded gun as a extra level of protection, but not a failsafe. Same way with a protector over a frizzen on a flintlock. Point it in a safe direction, keep fingers, hand head etc. out of the way except when loading. We can never be too safe and if one of us does something stupid and has an accident it reflects on us all.

In 40 years I have never heard of a capped nipple protector.. It seems un necessary, and I would not trust it if the hammer spring was strong enough.

It's an interesting thing to think about however.

Dr5x

Not sure this is the right place for this, so if not please move it to the right area!

I am asking because I seem to remember this coming up before but so far I haven't been able to find it with the search feature.

I have a friend and we are talking about doing some hunting this year and he comes out with his cap lock and there is what I would call a nipple protector on the nipple, hanging by a braided string from the trigger guard.

So I said to him, been practising squeezing off a few shots huh?

He responds with, yep it can be used like that but I use it as a safety!

So I had to ask, you mean you cap and carry it with that over the nipple and cap? Wouldn't the cap fall off when you pull it off!

Never had it to happen he says!!

So you ever worry the hammer is gonna hit the leather hard enough to split it or something and you get a premature--------firing???

He says, there is three layers of leather on the top where the cap will strike!!!

So I got to ask. What do you all think of such a get up??? Safe or not???

I clamped a nipple in a bench vise and put a cap on it, then covered it with .20 thick leather and hit it repeatedly with a hammer until it went off....Surprisingly, it only took a few hits.
I used to use a .32 cal case with a wire loop around the base, secured to a leather thong. on my CVA Varminter (Before I converted it to flint)

The case is long enough that there is nothing touching the cap and just snug enough to stay on the nipple. I would set the hammer down on it when walking through the woods. Easy enough to remove when I pulled the hammer back to shoot at tree rats and bunnies.

You can see it if you zoom in.

p4nTe4S.jpg

X2 on this. We use 9mm fired cases. We solder a little brass strip to the side of the case to make a loop for the lanyard to tie off. The dropped hammer sits atop the case and holds it firmly in place.
PB180002.JPG

October Country has a machined brass nipple cover/protector. It's meant to keep the cap dry, but it is solid and will prevent the cap from being hit. It's also about $16 more expensive than a spent .32 case.

A 32 S&W or a22 short case works well for me. A small cord tied around the case and glued. I’ve never seen a hammer fall that would smash a brass case.

Back