• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

leather canteen sealant......help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skwerl-eater 1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I made a leather canteen out of veg-tan leather that needs to be sealed. I have beeswax and pine pitch. Can someone tell me the best way to seal the canteen and finish the outside.
thanks
nick

beeswax works all right on leather, but brewer's pitch works better. you can order it from James Townsend if that isn't what you have.

Best thing to do is just melt some in a pan that you never plan to use for anything else--i've yet to be able to get all the wax out of my pot--then pour it in and slosh it around until you get all the sides and up into the spout. You can just dip the outside into the pitch if you want, but it isn't really necessary if you seal the inside.

Stumblin

I have had excellent results using (!!!gasp!!!) the microwave!!!

After you wet form and allow the leather to dry just put a chunk of beeswax in the "boat" of leather and stick it in the micro until liquid. Slosh it around slowly untill the inside of each half is covered.

Sew the two halves back together and make special pains to wax the flats where the seams are stiched. Smear extra along the seam and edge.

Pop it back in the micro and let the wax run together again.

Some of the wax will usually soak through and give the outside a waxy texture. You know you are waterproofed at that point.

:m2c:

Back