• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

learning to shoot my Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am haveing a heck of a time learning to to shoot my Bess I am useing a .715 ball and 80gr. of FFFg the problem seems to be consistantly holding to the same place I am shooting 1 gal. milk jugs at 50 yards,any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.I have visions of shooting a moose with it this year.Thanks rusty

Musket man says he glues on a piece of shot as a rear sight for novices until they get a "sight picture" worked out. Makes sence to me and plan on stealing the idea for personal use. I can definately see where that'll help! :p

Rusty- changing to 2F might reduce your groups considerably. 80gr. 3F must be producing 1,200fps at least, but it is a harsh 1,200fps. The slower burning 2F gives the ball a gentler start and in large bores, generaly shoots better. It usually takes an extra 20gr. to match the vel.
: As well, don't be afraid to file a rounded groove at the breech. It doesn't have to be deep, just enough to give a sight picture. The idea of something else taped there is a good one, but usually makes it shoot too high, depending on the load. The groove is legal as it doesnt' stick above the barrel's surface.
: My bro takes the barrel off, then supports it on two shot bags, gives the barrel a whack with a lead hammer to bend it slightly to make it shoot inline and to the POI he desires. He & I have been doing this for years to make smoothbores shoot straight. Be careful- don't KINK the barrel.
; The first three we did was between bending them between the box and cab of a pickup. This worked well, but wasn't as positive as the bag trick. We do this at the range, so results can be checked as it's done.

As stated above, super glue a BB top dead center of the barrel about mid way or less, shoot it like you would a double bead shotgun barrel...

After you shoot this way a while, change the BB to a #6 shot and shoot some more, then a #9 shot and finally just the front sight alone...

This trains your eye to use just the front sight and automaticaly align the rear section of the barrel like there was still a bead there...

Now, FFFg is too fast burning for the big bore, when I use it I kept burning through patches, no matter how much lube was on them...

I have used Fg (one F) and it works OK, just lots of fouling to contend with, FFg is what I settled with, I think swiss powder has a 1 1/2 F, wonder how that would do in a bess?

A long time ago when I first started shooting my first fowler a gentleman taught me to split the barrel.
What he was meaning was when you sight down the barrel you center the front sight so it is centered between the two edges of the barrel. You shouldn

Most smoothbore competitions don't allow a rear sight, BUT...a rear sight is an object above the line of the top of the barrel. I make sure that the slot in the tang screw is aligned with the barrel. It is under the line of the top of the barrel, but my eye sees it, and the mind aligns it with the front sight! Kind of like a ghost ring - you aren't focusing on it, but your mind knows its there!

The last gent that I taught that to shot a 42 out of 50 on a 25 yard OH target, and hit the 175 yard long gong on the trail walk! Not too bad for the second day of shooting his new smoothie!

Latest posts

Back