• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

learning to shoot Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there I have got a bess that I am trying to learn how to shoot . What kind of accuracy should I expect could anyone tell me some loads to try and should I use paper cartridges any information will be appreciated Thanks rusty

Musketman is the locally recognized Bess accuracy guru. Why it's been rumored he can shoot a Readers Digest at 350 yards offhand. The small print version to boot!
How 'bout it Musketman?

some of your expertise here. I would like to know some recomended rd ball loads for a Bess since i am thinking of getting one. I am considering the Military Heritage Royal Navy Sea Service Bess. Will an 11 ga. wad work in a Bess for shot loads? What size ball works best for accuracy in a .75 cal. bore? Any info on feeding and maintaining a Bess would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can get a one shot, one hole group at 4 yards with mine, however, the blast set the target on fire and this is all I have left to prove of it... :haha:
flame-yellow-on-burning-paper-1-DHD.jpg

The bess can handle a wide range of loads of black powder...
Loads are for .715 round ball and .020 pillow tick patch lubed with Crisco...

20 grains FFg, 341 fps.
30 grains FFg, 455 fps.
40 grains FFg, 569 fps.
50 grains FFg, 662 fps.
60 grains FFg, 754 fps.
70 grains FFg, 817 fps.
80 grains FFg, 879 fps.
90 grains FFg, 943 fps.
100 grains FFg, 1006 fps.
110 grains FFg, 1047 fps.
120 grains FFg, 1088 fps.
130 grains FFg, 1136 fps.
140 grains FFg, 1184 fps.
150 grains FFg, 1213 fps.

From Stumpkiller's former post:
3 drams/82 grains is a good all-around load for a Bess. It hits hard and increasing that load only makes more noise and burns more powder. You're more limited by the lack of sights than the remaining energy at the target with one o'them big 'ol punkin balls. It will kill anything you are likely to hit out to 75 yards.

ever shoot shot in yours? What size wads do you use if you do? Would 90grs. of Goex 2f and 1 1/4oz of shot be a good all around load in one? Thanks for any more info.

ever shoot shot in yours? What size wads do you use if you do? Would 90grs. of Goex 2f and 1 1/4oz of shot be a good all around load in one? Thanks for any more info.

Here's a good middle of the road load for you...

89 grains of FFg (3 1/4 drams) (can use 75 to 102 grains with this load, so 90 grains is OK)
one (12 gauge) .125 over powder card
one (12 gauge) 1/2 inch fiber wad
1 1/4 oz. shot
one (12 gauge) thin over shot card
(to hold the shot in place)

I used this for rabbits and squirrels with great results...

From the Circle Fly site (bigger wad maker) they suggest (and make);
10 ga. (.775 bore) .788 wad (Loyalist, TOW kits type Bess)
11 ga. (.751 bore) .762 wad (Heritage, Pedersoli type Bess)
12 ga. (.729 bore) .740 wad (mostly Dbl. ML Shotguns etc.)

http://www.circlefly.com/

I've researched the tar out of this, only thing missing is the gun. :curse: 2 of the 3 that I'm interested in purchasing are temporarily out of stock (so to speak) and the third is awaiting snail mail.
Something of interest (?) Bismouth (although rather expensive) shouldbe good on waterfowl. (Home-made)Paper shot cups (definately NOT plastic) has helped in working up good shot groups with assorted loads in shotguns and see no reason why a nice goose/duck load couldn't be made for the Bess too. Takes some rather intense testing sometimes, but it's enjoyable shooting.
Sporting Clays with a BP double usually turns some heads and starts some conversations. Looking forward to taking a Bess sometime. Of course I'll loose out on the "doubles", but so what. Life is to enjoy. :winking:
Have fun.

info. There is a shop north of here that carries all sizes of circle fly wads, so they shouldn't be a problem. I have a double barrel .12 ga. Navy Arms shotgun that i use now for most of my bird hunting, including ducks and geese. It is a blast. :: Especially getting geese with it. Take care, and watch yer backtrail.

The 11 guage wad from Track appears to be perfect for the .75 Bess as it measures .762".
: I think I might try the 12 guage plastic SHOT cups for steel hsot. These are quite a bit thicker and with a "B" or 1/8" card wad to protect the plastic from melting, should work well with steel shot. The heavier walls of the shot cut are designed to keep the steel shot from touching the bore. YOu would need another "B" wad on top of the shot and the amount of shot should remian within the cup with none bare to the steel of the bore.
: I haven't tried this, but it should work just fine. Around here, bismuth shot isn't available in #2's for geese, so #4's (if available)would have to be used in Bismuth and restrict range somewhat- perhaps 50/60yds.which is still better than steel shot will do. At this time, I've only seen #6 Bismuth for sale here & it's about $30.00 or more for 5 lbs. BLOODY expensive. Of ocurse, 5 lbs. should give enough to develope a load (with luck) and still shoot a couple geese, the daily limit here.
: In my bro's .77 cal Bess, the .735's work very well, giving 8" groups at 100yds. standing. I should mention here that his bench groups rarely are as good as he shoots standing, with a muzzleloader.
Daryl

Daryl, i have used the plastic steel shotcups in my Navy Arms double barrel .12 ga. for years now and they work fine. It is the only way i can use the gun for ducks and geese since i don't have shares in a gold mine or oil fields to be able to afford Bismuth and those other high priced non-toxic shots. I figure any shot ya hit a bird with is Toxic to that bird at least. :: I use the 3" wads and put an overpowder wad under them like you said. Those hold 1 1/4oz of steel. As long as there is no Choke in the gun they work fine. Wouldn't try it in a choked gun though, as you might run into trouble when all that steel shot enters the choked area.

Right-on about the choking - you wouldn't want the steel shot to cut through the plastic & groove the bore. With a double gun, the barels have been known to split apart at the muzzle due to choking and steel shot. This is the reason it is discouraged in the doubles. Bismuth is OK, accordng to Purdy, for any of their double guns including those with damascus barrels. If the gouged grooves were straight, it might help with reducing shot and ball spinning when shooting bare balls. I never shoot with bare balls myself.

Daryl, my double has both barrels cylinder bore, so i don't have any problems. I contacted Navy Arms about it before trying it, and they said it would be fine to use with the cylinder bore barrels. Been using it for years and no signs of any problems.

I agree - chokes are where the problems originate. The steel shot can't compress or move much in the plastic wad, and that noncompressibility is what wedges the barrels apart. In single choked barrels, it will actually open the chokes to almost straight-no-choke after a few hundred rounds, even in guns designed for steel shot- so say the testers in magazines. I have literally miniscule experience with steel shot myself, but will use it in the Bess for geeese and ducks with the appropriate protection wads only. Loaded bare, it will scratch the barrel badly, apparently, being very hard in material. Afterall, it's made from iron.

Back