• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leadballs needed!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have the solution to shooting steel targets and reclaiming the lead !!

Hang Fast Targets came up with the Tire Steel Target System to hang a tire over a steel target mounted on a T Post. This thing captures over 90% of the lead which can be re-melted and cast again. The plate is reactive and rings like a bell

Check it out
EBRD142.jpg

I think I have the solution to shooting steel targets and reclaiming the lead !!

Hang Fast Targets came up with the Tire Steel Target System to hang a tire over a steel target mounted on a T Post. This thing captures over 90% of the lead which can be re-melted and cast again. The plate is reactive and rings like a bell

Check it out
EBRD142.jpg

Looks like a solid set up, an edge hit may get away but again this looks safe.

Looks like a solid set up, an edge hit may get away but again this looks safe.

Edge hits on target frames, rocks, tree limbs and any other solid object downrange can re-direct the ball.

We shot at this setup with handgun, rifle and shotguns and so far I've reclaimed several pounds of lead and melted them into ingots. Almost all jacketed rifle and pistol bullet cores are pure soft lead as well as most lead shot so they can be cast into great muzzleloader balls.

I'm making a video of us shooting this setup in a "shoot house" 3 gun match using multiple "tire targets" We used AR15's, shotguns and handguns at 15' or less (frangibles in the AR15). I salvaged a LOT of lead from that match. I will try and post the video if I can ever get my internet to work properly. We ran 120 shooters through this stage with zero injuries.

Edge hits on target frames, rocks, tree limbs and any other solid object downrange can re-direct the ball.

We shot at this setup with handgun, rifle and shotguns and so far I've reclaimed several pounds of lead and melted them into ingots. Almost all jacketed rifle and pistol bullet cores are pure soft lead as well as most lead shot so they can be cast into great muzzleloader balls.

I'm making a video of us shooting this setup in a "shoot house" 3 gun match using multiple "tire targets" We used AR15's, shotguns and handguns at 15' or less (frangibles in the AR15). I salvaged a LOT of lead from that match. I will try and post the video if I can ever get my internet to work properly. We ran 120 shooters through this stage with zero injuries.

It's a given that rocks,tree limbs etc down range can re-direct the ball, I'm pointing out to the people that don't know (plenty of them) that an edge hit on the target they set up may send something up in an arc and hit something they don't want hit.

I was referencing the lower picture you posted more so as the gap around the steel looked like it leaves a space for an edge hit ricochet, I also noted that I thought the target was a good set-up, more so if the steel is in the center line of the tire to catch the 360 deg spatter.

Steel targets can be shot at 15 feet (5 yards) and Iv'e seen it many times but it does not make it safe, a steel plate inside room distance ("shoot house") with no cover over the face of the steel is asking for a hospital trip for somebody (seen this a few times also).

For Ref; I ran (match director) steel challenge matches for 8 years, some of the first Ruger rimfire steel, big GSSF matches over 500 shooters, 3 gun for 12 years, IDPA local/State, stage design and set-up for a few Nationals, USPSA matches, ICORE matches, cowboy matches, I teach local and federal L.E. SRT Teams, teach military teams and I set up the shoot houses for this.
I own a range that held some of the matches noted, I have 3 steel bays with each bay holding 30 targets, 3 paper bays (8 shooters each) and a rifle range with 50/100 and 175 yard target walls. I reference this because shooting is what I do.
I'm an instructor (as above), USPSA Revolver Grand Master (all other div master), IDPA ESP Distinguished Master (all other div master) , 3 division ICORE Master, one second club, etc.

I only comment on this subject because I have seen countless times that people do not understand what happens with bullets, what they do after the target is hit, many think it all stops after the hit, many think it stops when the ground is hit or water regardless of angle. I had a friend and S.O. at a match catch a ricochet from an angled steel plate that was 7 yds away (he was standing next to the shooter) that passed between his ribs, a hex head bolt holding the plate was all we could come up with for the cause.

P.S.
Most lead shot from a shotgun is not pure lead it has antimony to make it hard, often used by casters to harden a batch of lead.

I was referencing the lower picture you posted more so as the gap around the steel looked like it leaves a space for an edge hit ricochet, I also noted that I thought the target was a good set-up, more so if the steel is in the center line of the tire to catch the 360 deg spatter.

Steel targets can be shot at 15 feet (5 yards) and Iv'e seen it many times but it does not make it safe, a steel plate inside room distance ("shoot house") with no cover over the face of the steel is asking for a hospital trip for somebody (seen this a few times also).

I only comment on this subject because I have seen countless times that people do not understand what happens with bullets, what they do after the target is hit, many think it all stops after the hit, many think it stops when the ground is hit or water regardless of angle. I had a friend and S.O. at a match catch a ricochet from an angled steel plate that was 7 yds away (he was standing next to the shooter) that passed between his ribs, a hex head bolt holding the plate was all we could come up with for the cause.

P.S.
Most lead shot from a shotgun is not pure lead it has antimony to make it hard, often used by casters to harden a batch of lead.

I forgot about the antimony in shot. Some shot has more than others too.

Target design is key in steel target safety. Target plates with "feet" or set on pedestals with right angles at the bottom are the worst offenders. Jerry Miculek just made a video that explains bad target design. see it HERE RANGE SAFETY ***USE CORRECT AMMO AND TARGETS!!!*** I've seen a LOT of these targets in USPSA matches and never missed an oppoutunity to gripe about it usually to deaf ears. My wife caught a jacket frag in the neck barely missing her carotid artery at a USPSA match using these targets.

Any "right angle" including bolt heads can cause frags to come back to the shooter. At Hang Fast Targets, our plates are designed with .515" square holes to accept 1/2 inch GRADE 8 carriage bolts with rounded heads for this exact reason.

You are correct that any edge hit on steel sends the bullets singing in to the great beyond.... I hear bullets going over the berm at every match. I think our tire target could intercept a fair number of those ricochets if the tire rim size was close to the plate diameter such as a 12" plate in a 15" tire. Wide tires help also. It's not a perfect science but it helps.

I too have shot, worked and sponsored USPSA, 3 gun, steel challenge, long range rifle, DMR and OUTLAW matches for the last 35 years and I hope I never stop. Great fun and great people!

Latest posts

Back