• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any of you guys tried the pure lead sold by westernmetals.ca?
$7.99 a lb before shipping
Where do you fellows get your lead for running ball?
I’ve been getting these trade style bars from Missouri at $2.40 USD. They’re about 13 oz so close to a lb.
4FDCC908-BCE5-47D5-8E32-10DA9B1FB36E.jpeg

Got a couple milk crates full of the lead weights off some fishing nets, that and did have a guy supplying me with used lead weights out of the PRVR valves he recertifes.

I've always had good luck getting pure soft lead on ebay. Been doing that for years. Just got/ordered 10lbs. Pure soft lead for $22.00. Used to get it cheaper. Just have to search and search for the best deal on ebay.

Any of you guys tried the pure lead sold by westernmetals.ca?
$7.99 a lb before shipping
Where do you fellows get your lead for running ball?
I’ve been getting these trade style bars from Missouri at $2.40 USD. They’re about 13 oz so close to a lb.View attachment 76746
Rotometals is a reliable source to deal with. About $3.00 lb. + shipping. There lead is pure and dead soft. They also carry a variety of lead alloys if one is casting bullets for unmentionables. I mix my own for subsonic bullets. 99% lead and 1% tin. All other bullets (with the exception of roundballs) is Lyman #2 alloy.

Check the following:

1. Roofers take lead vents when re-roofing
2. Plumbers
3. Your local re-cycling place
4. Sail boat yards
5. Post a wanted ad in one of your weekly papers
6. Post a wanted ad in one of state hunting or fishing
forums.

Last edited:
Just FYI, I've ordered a couple of lots of lead from PBCastco Home | pbcastco

The 66lb lot comes in a little over $2/lb, shipping included, way better than the 5lb bars from Brownells or MidwayUSA. One thing I do like with PBCastco is the smaller 1lb ingot sizes which are easy to work. Shipping delays are down to the usual USPS madness.

Don't forget about good Ol'wheel-weights... there is Zero reason to spend all that money for round-ball,.. unless they're going into a revolver.

Back