• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

lead shot from from Rotometals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased West Coast Magnum Lead Shot from Rotometals. Just curious if I need a protective cup to protect a smooth bore barrel from this type of shot.

Info from Rotometals - - - -
Our graphite-coated, high-antimony Magnum Lead Shot (American Standard) has the equivalent hardness factor of 3- 5% Antimonial Lead Alloy.
Magnum Lead Shot is harder and slightly less dense than Chilled lead shot. Harder shot is more prone to retain its spherical shape during the firing sequence. Some shooters prefer Magnum's hardness advantage because it will likely pattern more predictably than softer shot. Magnum lead shot usually contains about 3-5% antimony.

Attachments

• west_coast_magnum_lead_shot_1_bag__40212.1616343802.jpg
    west_coast_magnum_lead_shot_1_bag__40212.1616343802.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 54
Graf's has some pull down magnum lead #6 shot that's not a bad deal, relatively speaking.

$89 for 25 pounds. But if your order is over $99 they do free shipping. So I added Bismuth Shot Alloy size #0 to the order. Bismuth Alloy is pricey but I wanted to try it?

Wow!
$89 for 25 pounds sounds high, even in the current market. I bought a 25 pound bag of
#8 chilled for $45 pounds 3 weeks ago locally.

Wow!
$89 for 25 pounds sounds high, even in the current market. I bought a 25 pound bag of
#8 chilled for $45 pounds 3 weeks ago locally.
I am in Florida and I have checked all local sources and the shelf's are empty. So I had a choice. Pay more for shot or don't go shooting? Does your local place ship ? At $45 plus shipping I might save a view dollars.

I am in Florida and I have checked all local sources and the shelf's are empty. So I had a choice. Pay more for shot or don't go shooting? Does your local place ship ? At $45 plus shipping I might save a view dollars.

Unfortunately, it was a single bag that had been sitting on the shelf for weeks, and
the only bag he had. I wasn’t really short on shot, but I believe it could be several years before ammo supplies and components are available ( at higher prices, of course ) again.
Sounds like you had no alternative but to suck it up and pay the price.
Small gauges and light loads are going to be the shotgun trend of the future.

Just FYI, RotoMetals has reclaimed shot for a little less (still high though). Before the Cali lead ban reclaimed was the go-to for dove, quail and clay birds. Opens the pattern and makes you look like a somewhat competent shooter.

Back