• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a large amount of wheel weights (3 five gallon buckets). Are these suitable to cast and shoot round balls. I have cast and shot a lot of bullets over the years made from them but did not know if they were suitable for muzzle loading.

Wheel weights are a bit hard for general use in rifles and pistols. Many use them for "hard balls" in smoothbores. I prefer pure lead. I have a few hundred pounds of wheel weights that I would trade for 50% in soft lead. Be careful of "new" wheel weights, as many are now zink or mild steel, and not suitable for shooting.

ADK Bigfoot

IT is ok for round balls so cast some and try them the patch is what touches the rifling not the ball some guns do shoot better with pure lead but some shoot just as good with w/w/lead

I have a large amount of wheel weights (3 five gallon buckets). Are these suitable to cast and shoot round balls. I have cast and shot a lot of bullets over the years made from them but did not know if they were suitable for muzzle loading.
I have used w/w lead for all kinds of roundballs. Just keep in mind it will usually cast a larger ball than soft lead. My Lee .490 throws actual .490's with soft lead. With w/w they come out .492.

Wheel weights can be used. A smaller mold and a thicker patch will let them load easier. WWs don't deform as much as lead.

I have used w/w lead for all kinds of roundballs. Just keep in mind it will usually cast a larger ball than soft lead. My Lee .490 throws actual .490's with soft lead. With w/w they come out .492.
I can see how there would be a slight difference in weight depending on pure lead or ww lead. But what would cause a size difference? How would that occur?

I've shot a few hard-cast balls from linotype and whatever Laser Cast makes their bullets out of. They work OK in a smoothbore, but as the molds are intended for actual lead, you get variations in diameter and weight. They do tend to fill out the mold better though, no voids or other imperfections. I wouldn't try bullets unless you are casting/sizing undersize deliberately so you can paper-patch 'em. They don't generally expand very well, but have superior penetration. This was the preferred medicine ball for elephants, rhinos, cape buffalo and other dangerous game back in the day when the stocks were all made of wood and the men made of steel.

I've used them for around fifty years. As long as you are shooting a patched ball, they don't harm the gun at all. I like the slightly harder bullet for better penetration in bigger game than deer. I find no difference in accuracy between pure and wheel weights. Don't try them in a revolver!

I’ll just say it like this…before the internet was around to tell me what to do…. I shot countless balls cast from wheel weights. If it melted… I shot it. Never had an issue with it. that being said I do shoot pure lead now…. Because I happen to have some. But I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot wheel weights again. I’m not saying some folks may have had issues with it…. Just saying I never did.

I’ll just say it like this…before the internet was around to tell me what to do…. I shot countless balls cast from wheel weights. If it melted… I shot it. Never had an issue with it. that being said I do shoot pure lead now…. Because I happen to have some. But I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot wheel weights again. I’m not saying some folks may have had issues with it…. Just saying I never did.
I did the same years ago. Didn't know any better and never had any problems. I still have an old bucket full stuck back just in case.

I also have a couple buckets of wheelweights (WW's) for smokeless powder loads. I have cast round ball using WW's to load them in .38 shells for light plinking loads. I've not tried them in a muzzleloader because if I run into a problem down bore, the harder WW round ball would be too hard to screw a ball puller into it. Recipe for disaster ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

Latest posts

Back