• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead melting temp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do use a thermometer to watch the temp on the pot.
I wait until the pot is 750+ before casting.
The molds also have to be hot - I set them on the hot plate when I turn on the pot so the molds are good and hot when I start casting.
When I hears guys say the first 2-20 bullets will be bad - I have to laugh - heat the molds up!
I do not know the temp of the molds but you sure don't want to touch them!
Hot lead - hot molds - make good bullets.
And it absolutely will not matter if you dip or drip - just make sure the mold fills as quickly as it can be safely controlled.
If you count the time I spent casting with my grandfather as a youngun, - I have been casting for over 60 years.
Bullets, balls, sinkers, soldiers, bearings, trot line weights and more.

I've got a thermometer on the bench, still in box.
I'm gonna need it soon for some alloys and 500 plus grain long skinny bullets.
I've got #2 babbitt I'm going to use for tin content and the alloyed copper is going to need control.

HOT and HOTTER :)

I mainly cast large Bullets, i do Roundball as well

“Money”
cL8j8Yc.jpg

Here are just a few examples of what i cast, ALL with my Bottom Pour Pots

XzbJRYL.jpg

7HJyzuA.jpg

qDY8X6i.jpg

”Money” Bullet

EhwTubH.jpg

650 Grain .54 Cal Slicks

olF8ubX.jpg

610 Grain .50 Cal

LfQUT03.jpg

r3SkAdP.jpg

X6A3miy.jpg

qxe59iw.jpg

erwVcGh.jpg

HkYityw.jpg

h9aJCqa.jpg

Ncvx0ah.jpg

hLZpljV.jpg

I cast at the temperature that gives the proper weight bullet my 540 gr money bullet mold the lead has to be 820 degrees for the bullets to be exactly 540 on the scale and it fills out the mold with no issues.

I gave away my plumbers pot and my old Lyman 20 when I got this Lyman Mag 25 digital bad boy.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/mag-25-digital-melting-furnaceI usually end up at 800 for round balls and 750/780 for alloys.
I also made a little oven out of a 2” deep electrical box, knocked an end off and put a flat cover blank for a bottom. Holds 2 molds on the hot plate.
i can’t seem to get consistent results with the bottom pour so I use a long handled ladle.
I’ve watched a couple of idaholewis’s videos so I bought a Lyman 57 amp and a 17 globe sight for a TC Hawken .50, all I need is a good bullet mold to play with… any recommendations?

I gave away my plumbers pot and my old Lyman 20 when I got this Lyman Mag 25 digital bad boy.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/mag-25-digital-melting-furnaceI usually end up at 800 for round balls and 750/780 for alloys.
I also made a little oven out of a 2” deep electrical box, knocked an end off and put a flat cover blank for a bottom. Holds 2 molds on the hot plate.
i can’t seem to get consistent results with the bottom pour so I use a long handled ladle.
I’ve watched a couple of idaholewis’s videos so I bought a Lyman 57 amp and a 17 globe sight for a TC Hawken .50, all I need is a good bullet mold to play with… any recommendations?
OUCH! I cast my own to save money. Sure aren't going to save much when the pot you melt lead in costs more than the rifle you are shooting it with.

I have a decent batch of pure lead and just received my first .490 round ball mold. I don't have a bottom pour or electric pot.
If I wanted to run small batches of bullets using a small iron pot and ladel how should I guess at the temmperature? Should I invest in a thermometer?
Does anyone still run bullets using a camping burner and iron pot (or is that too dangerous)?

If you want a Factory Mold i swear by the Lyman Plains, It shoots EXTREMELY well in every Rifle i own, .50 & .54 Cal.

If you want a Custom mold, These 2 are my Favorites from Accurate Bullet Molds, I have several of them and they are Excellent.

These 2 are my Favorites in .50 Cal
https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-415IThe .50 Cal, Accurate Molds #50-415I

WojEkhE.jpg

Cast of PURE Lead
5j5Pe72.jpg

Gotta Love a BIG WIDE Meplat :)
68ZfGjq.jpg

5 Shot Group, Shot with my Green Mountain LRH 1:28 Twist at 60 Yards
VOFZl6V.jpg

And this one, This is from an Original Bullshop 460 that i sent to Tom at Accurate Molds and had him make for me. I would make a few simple changes here, Go with ALL Bands the Diameter you need instead of a Taper Design (Size to fit your Bore) And do away with the slight Bevel Base
https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-450M

Last edited:
I have a decent batch of pure lead and just received my first .490 round ball mold. I don't have a bottom pour or electric pot.
If I wanted to run small batches of bullets using a small iron pot and ladel how should I guess at the temmperature? Should I invest in a thermometer?
Does anyone still run bullets using a camping burner and iron pot (or is that too dangerous)?
I did it for years. If the bullets' or RBs don't fill out turn up the heat, if it takes too long for the lead to solidify, turn the heat down. If the RBs come out frosty, turn it down. By the way frosty doesn't hurt a thing. You will get the hang of it and figure out what works best for you.

If you want a Factory Mold i swear by the Lyman Plains, It shoots EXTREMELY well in every Rifle i own, .50 & .54 Cal.

If you want a Custom mold, These 2 are my Favorites from Accurate Bullet Molds, I have several of them and they are Excellent.

These 2 are my Favorites in .50 Cal
https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-415IThe .50 Cal, Accurate Molds #50-415I

WojEkhE.jpg

Cast of PURE Lead
5j5Pe72.jpg

Gotta Love a BIG WIDE Meplat :)
68ZfGjq.jpg

5 Shot Group, Shot with my Green Mountain LRH 1:28 Twist at 60 Yards
VOFZl6V.jpg

And this one, This is from an Original Bullshop 460 that i sent to Tom at Accurate Molds and had him make for me. I would make a few simple changes here, Go with ALL Bands the Diameter you need instead of a Taper Design (Size to fit your Bore) And do away with the slight Bevel Base
https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-450M
Hey idaho those are kinda on the light side ? Lol

I wish to expand my knowledge of casting. Can some explain how pouring temperatures effect the bullets weight. Given that the lead is hot enough to completely fill out the mold that is. It’s been mentioned twice in this thread.

I started 40 plus years ago with a coleman gasoline stove, a small cast skillet from china, Lyman mold and a foot long piece of broom handle. Cast 100's if not 1000's on that set up. Have never owned a thermometer. Bought a Lee 20lb pot, turn it on high, cast until I see frost, then turn it down or add lead. I put the mold on the rim while heating, usually only toss first 2 bullets, then go to work. Lead melts quicker in Texas heat than Texas winter, but have no idea what the temps are.

I started 40 plus years ago with a coleman gasoline stove, a small cast skillet from china, Lyman mold and a foot long piece of broom handle. Cast 100's if not 1000's on that set up. Have never owned a thermometer. Bought a Lee 20lb pot, turn it on high, cast until I see frost, then turn it down or add lead. I put the mold on the rim while heating, usually only toss first 2 bullets, then go to work. Lead melts quicker in Texas heat than Texas winter, but have no idea what the temps are.
Sometimes people seem to complicate an other wise simple task. 😊

Last edited:
Tried my hand at casting some .44 Lee Conicals, My first time ever casting. Don’t laugh Ha Ha.. I poured with one of those Palmer electric Pots, seemed to have worked ok.
1635275997759.jpeg

5663112F-978A-483C-8580-B17C47AA652F.jpeg

44 Caliber J&D bullets. Hot enough to fill out the mold not too hot to frost. Pure lead for percussion revolver use. Lee two cavity mold.
cheap Lee 5 pound capacity pot with the dial set to 5 once lead starts filling out the mold. Small bullets so temps over 700 not required.

Latest posts

Back