• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead melting stove

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came across a fella selling a lead melter on a buy/sell forum recently and thought I'd share a pic. He was a retired plumber and had used this for over 40 yrs to melt various metals. It's basically a giant white gas stove with a pot on top. It puts out a huge blue flame. I haven't had a chance to melt any lead yet but I'm sure it'll do fine. I like the portability and small footprint. I got it for $50 Cdn. That's like $10 US right now:)
I hope everyone is well.
20200324_070408.jpg

20200324_070408.jpg

It's probably a Turner, Plumbers Furnace, Lead Smelter, Lead Stove made by "Turners Brass Works" Sycamore, IL.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy in case it springs a leak. I tossed a Coleman white was unit similar to that one after it tried to burn my shop down.

They are not for indoor use, Old Coleman's and similar units had lead and leather seals. They can wear out with age, easy to repair though.
Mud dobbers, spiders and other insects love to make their homes in the air chambers, this reduces or blocks the air to fuel ratio making the units flare up.
First thing I do with an old lantern or stove is tear it down and inspect everything.

Yeah I wouldn't use it indoors. But handy for sure.
I have use just a propane torch in a holder and one of those cast iron ash tray with added wood handle to pour. Bought a Lee bottom pour and was in hog heaven.

They are not for indoor use, Old Coleman's and similar units had lead and leather seals. They can wear out with age, easy to repair though.
Mud dobbers, spiders and other insects love to make their homes in the air chambers, this reduces or blocks the air to fuel ratio making the units flare up.
First thing I do with an old lantern or stove is tear it down and inspect everything.
The pump seal needed a bit of oil and the filler cap washer/o ring needed replacing so it would build pressure. The pump is sweet!. It has a priming tray under the burner so I still have the ritual flame up before the blue flame.

I got around to cleaning some built up corrosion and guck from the pot support/wind cover and uncovered some letters. Turns out it's a National Tool Distributors #43. Made in Toronto Ontario. A piece of Canadiana!
20200407_105524.jpg

Back