• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead Hardness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddinAz

32 Cal
Reaction score
I understand that pure soft lead is best for casting round balls as it's easier on the loading lever components, but is there any other reason to not use a harder alloy? I plan on casting my own round balls for the new 1858 Remington and have set aside all the soft range scrap I've collected for that purpose. Mostly 22lr which I understand to be in the 4-5 BHN range. Thoughts?

It also swages itself in to the lands and grooves better, providing a better grip with the rifling, and less gas blow-by, and theoretically, better accuracy.

"I understand that pure soft lead is best for casting round balls as it's easier on the loading lever components, but is there any other reason to not use a harder alloy?"

Every mold maker says to use pure lead for M/L

Would especially be true for revolvers where shaving lead is needed.

I don't see where your .22 reclaimed lead would be a problem at all. Plenty soft enough. As Mooman said 4-5 BHN would put it in the range of pure lead.

If you were to go to loading the cylinder off the gun you could even go a bit harder, as the limitation is really in the loading lever on the gun. As to accuracy you'd have to try different levels of hardness.

At some point obturation is going to be affected, but I have used cast bullets, intended for cartridge guns cast from wheel weight alloy, without problems in my C&B revolvers and with satisfactory accuracy

So it sounds like 22 scrap will be fine then. Glad I separated and saved it. Thanks guys. I do plan on using a bench loader mostly, since target shooting is pretty much all I do and have plenty of time while at the range.

Back