• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lead fouling.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ever wonder how to get lead out of a barrel?
It's easy.
Just use water.
The hotter the better.
IMG_20230521_185442.jpg
IMG_20230521_190105.jpg

Funny that comes up so often
I’ve used hot water for years vs you get flash rust for any thing warmer than body temp.
I wonder if it’s a mineral thing in the water, level of chlorine or such.
Temp makes chemistry happen, so flash rust makes sense, but I’ve used pretty hot water, not boiling but too hot to touch for years. So hot I generally have to use a rag to hold the barrel
I wonder why people have such different reactions

Temp makes chemistry happen
^^^ this. coupled with whatever your mineral/chemical content is with the water. So many differences. Just like a persons physiology + their environment.

I would love to hear results of someone that has a flash rust issue using boiled distilled water. If there was a change or if it still flashed.

I used to get flash rust, but it stopped when I started treating the water to reduce the amount of iron (and manganese) in it. Not a quantified study with a control group, but it strongly suggests that iron in the water can be the source of flash rust.

Cushion wads came into being as a regular component of the smoothbored shot load when the unmentionable shotgun cartridges made the change from a full cartridge of black powder and ball to an equivalent performance of the smokeless variety powder there was a lot of room left in the cartridge. That was filled by a cushion wad. It did have the benefit of being lubricated

Going to mow. Should have done Saturday. Takes about 2.5 hours on the zero turn. That mower has a 2 cylinder 27 HP Kawasaki engine and it flies!
I mowed this morning.Takes me about 1 1/2 on my zero turn. Mine has a Kwak engine also...24 hp.

Off to the cardiologist in a few minutes.

Sorry about the thread drift. Kinda lost track of the thread I was in.

Last edited:
Back