• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

lead ban

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark starr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I do not know if this is the right place for this but its a heads up on what is heading our way.

The NRA can sometimes over exaggerate claims to rally all their members to contact their state representatives to prevent laws from being put into place. One claim was that lead ammunition was being banned on all public land. I did however, still contact three individuals at state level and received responses to two of them. The first replied by email thanking me for my email while admitting not knowing much about it. The second was John Ward, who sent a letter by mail. Quoting his response:

"In the past few months, there has been a great deal of media attention paid to lead ammunition bans on both state and federal level. While on proposals have been made on a state level, last week the National Park Service announced its intention to ban all lead ammunition and lead sinkers in all national parks after 2010. Since this is a federal issue, I do not have any say in how it is resolved as a state repetitive. I would encourage you to contact Congressman Overstar and Senator Klobuchar with your concerns. For your reference, I have included a sheet with their contact information." (Those senator and representative are for MN)

This means that if you hunting with a muzzleloader or enjoy attending reenacting events that include blackpowder shoots on public land, this will not be allowed after 2010. I encourage you to forward this email to anyone you feel might find this important and to contact your senators and state representatives.

Find your Senator:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

Find your Representative:
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

If you do not know what to say or do not have the time to put together a letter that explains these points of view, you may use this one and edit it to personalize it. Just copy and paste the following into your word processor and print when finished.

Your Name
Your Address Line 1
Your Address Line 2
Your Phone Number

March 29, 2009

Their position
Their name
Their address line 1
Their address line 2

Dear :
In the last few months, there has been a great deal of media attention paid to lead ammunition bans both on state and federal level. I am quite concerned that most of our lawmakers are seeing just two sides: hunters and those against the use of lead ammunition. I however, see more than these two points of view. Please let me share those points of view with you.
There is a growing interest in muzzle loading. These guns only hold one lead ball at a time. The hunter is careful to shoot only at the right moment because they’d never have the chance to reload fast enough for a second shot. This translates to less lead ammunition in the woods. They can only use lead ammunition in muzzle loading rifles because lead is the only material that you can push down the bore of the rifle. Everything else would create too much friction. Banning 100% of lead ammunition means that these hunters would have few places to hunt. Not only that, many of these hunters are “purists” who have a much higher regard for the nature and land they hunt and share with the rest of us and do their best to “leave only footprints.”

What’s more, there are many Pre-1840’s Rendezvous reenactments that are on public land that people attend for fun and, for many, as a way to provide an income for their families. Reenacting brings in many people who want to learn about their heritage and the black powder, lead ball shoots are the main events that drive the numbers of those attending. Those who reenact would not be able to use their black power guns during the events on public lands so they would not attend, and, if this event is not available for the public to see, those who come to witness these events would stop coming, followed by those who could no longer provide for their family at the events. This means that they events that our schools and families attend to learn about their heritage would no longer be available in many areas.

Please be careful when looking at this legislation and stand up for your, my and all United States heritage and the rare hands on education that our school children are unable to enjoin within the normal course of school. Please share this with all state representatives and ask them to oppose this measure that those who are asking you to vote toward clearly lack full understanding of.

Thank you for taking time to read this letter.

Sincerely,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun rights. It is good to hear from you.

As you know, on March 10, 2009, the National Park Service (NPS) announced their goal of eliminating lead from NPS activities to protect wildlife. This rule does not affect the public as of yet, the NPS is only looking to remove lead from their own activities. Any future regulations regarding a hunting ban on lead will require public involvement, which includes careful consideration of the comments and concerns raised by all parties involved.

I will continue working to promote gun rights and the legacy of hunting and fishing in Wyoming. As a gun owner and a long time 2nd Amendment advocate, I will continue to support our Second Amendment rights. Please know that I will continue to monitor this situation as the rule making process continues.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

John Barrasso, M.D.
United States Senator

thought all might be intrested in this.

While the National Park Service did propose to ban lead-based ammunition and fishing tackle by 2010 on March 4, it has re-evaluated this decision mainly due to the concern of hunters like you. On March 18, the National Park Service issued a clarification that stated it would not force any special regulation through and would work with their policy office, appropriate stakeholders and groups and would have public involvement for both comment and review of any proposed regulation on lead-based ammunition. Any proposed regulation, must be open to public comment prior to any inclusion into the national park rules and regulations. I will continue to monitor any announcements by the Park Service that would impede hunting rights.

I have been and will continue to be a defender of the right of the American people to keep and bear arms. When considering firearms legislation, I have a twofold mission. The first part is to stop any new legislation that would limit the right to own firearms by law-abiding citizens. The second part is to ensure that old legislation and current laws which harm Second Amendment rights are addressed appropriately.

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns. I rely on the ideas and suggestions from the people of Wyoming.

Sincerely,

Michael B. Enzi

United States Senator

Latest posts

Back