• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Laurel Mtn Browning solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentucky bucky

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey fellows!
I'm back....no more cumputer problems!

I'm getting ready to use Laurel Mtn browning solution for the first time. I've used Homer Dangler and BC Plum Brown in the past. My question is , is the claim that their solution degreases and browns at the same time really true or is it just wishfull thinking or marketing? If it does, is it just for a stray fingerprint or does it take care of worse smudges?

bucky :results:
i just finished finished a lancaster this last weekend add used the finish kit from jim chambers . in answer to your question it does everything it says.i followed their directions and every ehing turned out great.
a couple of things you should know is the barrel i browned was a green mountain and heres how it went.my first coat went on too heavy and a copper film showed up so i had to work that off and start over. just make sure you use thin coats ,just enough to dampen the barrell let set three hours ,rinse in hot water,let dry then repeat.
use latex gloves when you are putting on the solution ,do one flat at a time and wipe in one direction only(this prevents streaks)

your barrel will darken when you rinse in hot water and really darken after you oil it, also after your last coat wash off with water and baking soda to neutralize the acids.

good luck and i will try to post pictures of my rifle this weekend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :imo:

Yes it will degrease as advertised but I always degrees anyway for extra insurance. Its not hard, it does not take long.

Then just wear rubber gloves when you handle the barrel from then on.

My next question for you guys is how the best way to remove the oils from the 0000 steel wool or should I card with old blue jeans(canvas)
I did do a browing job back in the early 80's on a cva kit,I have to say it came out great and it never came any off the metal parts or barrel.
next question I read is to rub into the barrel when finish is beeswax ,any comment on that subject?

A 70% water and 30% Muratic Acid mix will remove all traces of oil from steel wool.

I know most of you don't have Muratic Acid, but if you live in "Pool Country" such as Arizona or Florida you can buy it by the gallons at the drug store etc. Muratic Acid is a common name for Hydrochloric acid.

I used this stuff and it turned out great. I didn't go by the dirrections exactaly though. I did degrease and I put it on just enough to make it look wet and let it set for 12 hours on my cover front porch during a rainy weekend. The next morning I just wiped it down with a piece of scotch brite just enough to knock off the loose rust. Then I put on another coat and let set 12 hours. I did this for two days. When I liked the look I washed it down with the baking soda water solution. This didn't neutualize it enough and it continued to rust .I washed it down about 5 times with Lava soap and hot water and it stopped rusting.Then I knocked the rust down with scotch brite and used gun oil to finish. I put the oil on heavy and let sit overnight. Some of the rust came off when I wiped down, but I think it looks great. I came out a deep brown and with a course browned finish. To me it looks like I came out of the 19 th centry. I love this product and highly recomend it. It can give you a semi smooth to a rough finish.Good stuff. :imo: :m2c: :redthumb:

All advise is good. I use old canvas to card. I use a damp box with a light bulb and some wet rags. I put on about 7 to 8 coats. That finishes the metal however a more even finish can then be obtained with a drop or two of tru-oil, if that is what you want. Try it first on the bottom flat.

here is a long post on how this guys blue a barrel it is a long post

Please do not forget the Power of the SEARCH feature above for basic questions...

I do not recommend cold blue at all. While there are commercial grade, "for gunmsiths" grade liquid cold blues, many lads use Birchwood Casey's liquid or paste "cold bluing," which temporarily imparts of very thin, uneven, and fragile "dirty black" to steel. (Which, IMHO, gave our hobby the myth that Enfields had thin and fragile finishes.)

As manufactured, original Enfields were "rust-blued," a type of "blackening." "Hot bluing," "acid tank bluing," "chemical salt blue," etc., can be done to simulate the rust-blue of the period originals, but the gunsmith needs to know one does not want a coal black, wet black ink, extremely high gloss "modern blue" look.

From a previous archived thread:

"Different gunsmiths, and different lads will all have their own personal
favorites and methods. This is just once that is affordable, easy, and
reduces many of the problems associated with the first-time user.
There is a great deal of misinformation concerning the period Enfield
factory "rust blued" barrel finish. Most of it is due to "reenacting lore"
where lads have removed the modern spurious Italian markings from their
barrels and reblued the barrel with liquid or past bluing. Both liquid and
paste bluing is a poor, thin, and easily worn off surface finish which has
given rise to the lore that original Enfield "blue" was thin and easily worn
off. The second is partly due to looking at once "Arsenal" of "field bright"
original Enfields that have taken on a brown age patina (rust brown) over
the past 150+ years, or, were factory blue where the "black" has naturally
changed to brown over the years as well.

My technique can be done for about $20, if you have to buy all the
"chemicals," depending upon prices where one lives. A bottle of browning
will do 2 or 3 barrels, so it gets cheaper if one goes in with a pard or two
and split the costs. It generally takes 4-6 "treatments" that each take less
than five (5) minutes, once every 12 hours. Depending upon the time of
year and humidity inside, I have stretched the 12 to once every 24 hours
with the same results.

Without building a "sweat box," this process entails using a liquid, "cold acid" browning solution but modifying the atomic reaction to produce a black rust-blue (so-called "blue" in America) instead of a rust-brown finish.
The finish is deep, durable, and long lasting as was the original.

1. There are many acid browning liquids on the market that will work. For
beginners, I recommend Laurel Mountain Forge's "Barrel Brown &
Degreaser." The reason why is that a good finish is highly dependent upon
degreasing the barrel. Laurel Mountain is self-degreasing, which eliminates any traces of oil or grease one may have missed!
2. The barrel needs to be stripped of its modern bluing. Birchwood Casey
makes a good rust and bluing remover. Brush it on, let it set, steel wool
and/or Scotch-Brite it off. It usually takes 5-6 times to fully strip the old
bluing. A buffing wheel with emory grit is faster, but takes more time being sure all traces of grit residue is removed as it will interfere with the process and leave spots and streaks. Warning: steel wool tends to be oily as well.
3. The barrel needs to be removed from the stock, the nipple and muzzle
plugged. I use my daughter's Play-Doh. One does not want acid to get
inside the bore.
4. Wearing latex surgical gloves, or clean work gloves, wipe the barrel
down with a soft cloth and a solution such as paint thinner, paint remover,
acetone, automotive carburetor degreaser, etc. When done, wipe it down
with rubbing alcohol .
5. Take a 48 inch section of white 2.5" PVC "plumbing" and two end caps.
Measure in about 2 inches from the end caps, and then cut a 2 inch wide
section from mark to mark with a saber saw. This makes a scalding trough.

Some lads with no tools use the PVC with only one end cap. Others can use their bathtub when their wife is out shopping. A "trough" is not required, it just makes it easer.
6. Never touch the degreased barrel with your hands (fingerprints are oil-
wear gloves or use a cloth or clean rag). Lay the barrel up on top of a
piece of wood at either end.
7. Pour a little Laurel Mountain solution into a Dixie cup, lid, or even a small
bowl (this keeps the main bottle uncontaminated.
8. Using a wool swab, or just a little folded square of lint-free cloth, apply
a light coating of solution to the barrel being sure to cover uniformly and
evenly.
9. Return in 12 hours. The barrel will have turned orange and yellow in
places. The places you missed will be silver still.
10. Repeat Step 8 and Step 9. (putting a little extra on where you missed.)
11. When you return, the barrel should be orangery "brownishish."
12. Boil a tea kettle or pot of water.
13. NEVER TOUCHING THE BARREL WITH BARE HANDS, put the barrel in the
scalding trough, or bath tub, and pour the boiling water over it to scald it.
14. When cool enough to hold with gloves or a cloth, rub a cloth briskly
over the barrel to remove build up and "rust scale."
15. Repeat Step 8, 9, 12, and 13 applying LM solution, letting it work for
12 hours, then scalding, de-scaling, and repeating Step 15.
16. The barrel should have turned black. When a deep, dark, uniform black,
you are almost done. You can go back and repeat the process for spots
that did not take.
17. Rub the barrel with baking soda to "kill" the acid.
18. "Paint" the barrel with oil (car oil works well) and let set overnight to
soak into the pores of the steel.
19. Wipe off the oil. Clean out the semi-stiff Play-Doh.
20. Wax the barrel inside and out with beeswax/tallow.
21. Enjoy your correct "rust-blue" barrel. With a little care, it will last
longer than you. (If after many years, it does not, simply REDO it...)

Again, this is one way of many, but it works well. If it doesn't, strip it and
start over... ;-)
And, if 2 or 3 pards pitch in, the "share" can drop down to about less than
$8 or $10.

I am rusty (no pun intended) on the atomic/chemical process at work. If I
remember high school chemistry well enough, the acid solution accelerates
the oxidation (rusting) of the iron in the steel by adding an electron to
the iron atom (which makes ferrous oxide, or "rust"). The scalding adds an
extra electron, making ferric oxide, or "black"). Over time, the extra
electron is lost to the environment, which changes the ferric to
ferrous, and black to brown (brown patina). At any rate, high school
chemistry teachers out there can correct that..."