• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Laurel mountain stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilted Cowboy

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Laurel Mountain stain color Lancaster maple on a premium curly maple stock? I know depends on the wood but just an idea on how well it looks. Planning a Kibler colonial rifle. Website says color was popular in Lancaster County during Rev war period.

Yes. My stock is not premium but does have some nice curl here and there. Came out a little too red/orange for my taste. I cut it back with mineral spirits, added a little walnut and reapplied. Second result was better.

0C9FF150-8CBC-477A-8D85-74FD97546F46.jpeg
that’s lm stain on those guns

You will probably find the above pictures fairly accurate as to how your stock will look. Best test is to make sure you get the slabs cut off of your blank and use them for tests to see how your piece of wood reacts to this and or other stains. As a suggestion I use these to make knife handles, so you get a little extra out of your efforts.

Has anyone used the Laurel Mountain stain color Lancaster maple on a premium curly maple stock? I know depends on the wood but just an idea on how well it looks. Planning a Kibler colonial rifle. Website says color was popular in Lancaster County during Rev war period.
Yes, I've used this stain with, and without base color, and like it very much. The color is stable, and doesn't change over time. Great stuff.

Back