• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Laurel Mountain Forge stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankfannin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with Laurel Mountain Forge wood stains. I've tried both their walnut and cherry and after applying and letting it dry for up to 48 hours it just comes right off. No matter what I put over it, water, oil, wax or just hand rubbing, the stain lifts off. Does this stuff ever dry? What can you apply over it that won't remove it? I've tried a little of everything. I even tried using just wax over it. The wax lifted it off!!! How can anyone use a wood stain that apparently never dries and mixes with any and everything?? Really frustrating.

Greyhawk

Something is way off. I've used them and never had any issues with them penetrating the wood.

What type of wood are you staining? How did you prep it?

I haven't had any problems with LMF stain or sealer. I have found their finish to be more difficult to work with than some others. Good results all the way around.

I'm up with Cpt Fred ... only had a problem with LMF stain one time, and that was when I mixed it with stuff I thought was compatible, but wasn't. The head guy at LMF (who's name escapes me) was very nice, told me how to fix my mistake, and told me how to stay on the path of righteousness. (Well, not in the religious sense, but in the wood finishing sense, anyway.)

I've always had excellent penetration with their stains. If you get on their website and shoot an e-mail, they may well be able to help.

LMF is one of the best stains available, but like any other stain, it must be applied to bare wood. If you put anything on the wood before staining, then no stain will work.

Back