• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Laurel Mountain Forge stain application method

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighUintas

40 Cal
Reaction score
Let me preface this with the fact that Ive never stained wood. I've always paintednit.

I'm going to stain my stock LMF Lancaster Maple. I will very likely stain with a mixture of gilsonite dissolved in turpentine first. Maple stain on top.

Below is a picture of my scrap stock wood. Sanded to 400 grit. The top square is the gilsonite. I think it may need a few more days to dissolve to get darker on one coat. The bottom two are the Lancaster maple stain undiluted. Bottom right is right after I dipped the applicator into the stain. Bottom left is after I stained the bottom right.

I used a cheapo sponge applicator like you'd use in art class as a kid because it's what I had on hand.

Bottom right looks very splotchy....

What applicators seem to work best with LMF stains?

Are LMF stains best applied in a single heavier application or several very thin applications?

Is it easier to stain without splotchiness if I dilute the stain and do several applications to get the darkness I want?

IMG_20221031_203415871.jpg

I use a cotton ball soaked in LMF and wet up the stock, then keep working until I get the desired results. I also mix different colors.

Back