• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

laural fordge finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone used this finish and were you happy with it
Also has any one used the sealer with it or just the finish

I'd be willing to bet there have been 200+ gun on this forum alone that have been browned with LMF.
(there a sticky on top of this section)
Search for any topic about Browning and you see advice and photo's of guns done with the stuff.

All I've ever done is follow the direction for the browning job, and oiled the barrel after.

I think he's asking about the Laural Mountain wood finishes.

I've used LM Permalyn Sealer and LM Permalyn finish before and it worked okay but I went back to using Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil.

The Tru-Oil just seemed to work more like what I expected a finish to work like.

I've used it on 2 of the 3 guns that I've built and used it in combination with Minwax on my 3rd and I'm very happy with the finish on all of them (though not entirely happy with everything else). :wink:

I use the sealer and like it a lot.
I thin the first two coats by half with turpentine.
Have not used the finish - Chambers oil is my choice.

yup....liked it, used it on 3 rifles, and, on the last walnut...I actually tried my spar varnish applied with OOOO steel wool, then OOOO again after she was dry, then do it again.....but walnut has huge craters to fill in!...I am having fun with all the finishes....they all use rubrubrub techniques~
i am still learning........but the LM products are #1 in my book~

Some people fill the open grain on walnut by applying a light coat of oil to an area and then while it is still wet they lightly sand it.

The sanding dust from the wood mixes with the oil and ends up getting packed into the open grain holes.

Other people, especially those who want a simple oiled finish look just ignore the open grain pockets and finish the wood with several coats of a drying type oil.

I'm doing a walnut stock and want to seal it with an oil finish
LMF i never used and i bought someand have true oil B-casey
Gues i be comparing them dont want a vanish or plastic feeling stock

Back