• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Latest Townsend video about longhunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The latest Townsend Youtube video is "Who Were the Longhunters?" Jon interviewed Simeon English, who did a good job describing who they were and how they functioned. Certainly I learned some things. It seemed to be a great introduction to the subject. (English did an earlier video with Townsend about cleaning and maintaining a firelock in the field circa 1760. He is an excellent teacher.)

I don't know much about longhunters except in a general way. If any Forum members see this video, I would like to know what you think about it's accuracy and effectiveness.

I have had to be 'stern' with myself concerning Youtube. Between Jon Townsend and Duelist1954 videos, I can lose hours of time. Too much fun and learning.

Jeff

The latest Townsend Youtube video is "Who Were the Longhunters?" Jon interviewed Simeon English, who did a good job describing who they were and how they functioned. Certainly I learned some things. It seemed to be a great introduction to the subject. (English did an earlier video with Townsend about cleaning and maintaining a firelock in the field circa 1760. He is an excellent teacher.)

I don't know much about longhunters except in a general way. If any Forum members see this video, I would like to know what you think about it's accuracy and effectiveness.

I have had to be 'stern' with myself concerning Youtube. Between Jon Townsend and Duelist1954 videos, I can lose hours of time. Too much fun and learning.

Jeff
Jeff,
Thanks for the tip on the video, EXCELLENT info given and I also like a few things that Simeon mentioned, A major one being that he had a Mentor that gave him a huge leg up in his craft.
He also mentioned that a LongHunter may get their weapon on credit from the trader and work it off before they would start to profit from the game they took with it.
This raises a question as to what was the quality of a cheap weapon if the Longhunter was not as confident or experienced enough to anticipate a good haul.
Should you wish to dump more time into you tube try : Ramshackle Homestead, Stillwater Woodcraft and Snow Walker 13...

The Sicilian

Latest posts

Back