• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Latest stupidity from the other side of the pond.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The latest idiocy from this side of the pond is the EU are trying to outlaw lead ammunition. The initial removal of lead only applies to shooting over wetlands, however, once this is passed there are moves afoot to extend this to include all shooting even on a range. This will obviously have a small impact on anyone shooting a muzzleloader or even .22LR.

The authorities seem to have given up trying to ban guns, it looks like they will let you keep your guns, it's just the ammo that will be illegal. Sneaky hey? Especially as I very much suspect that this will enable them to avoid having to pay any compensation as you get to keep your guns, But the legislation gets to be hidden in the guise of "environmental" legislation.

Oh and the EU have also pulled a blinder and got the vote to be held during the peak vacation time and there is no option for abstention, so any country that fails to submit a vote gets automatically registered as a yes vote. How's that for democracy?

I’m sorry to hear of this ban on lead. I think California has a lead ban but I’m not sure if any other states have followed. We also have a lead ban on the hunting of water fowl. Over here migratory bird hunting is regulated by our federal government but I’m not sure if Dove hunting has to be with lead free shot. Did the U.K. go through with BREXIT? Will this ban be binding on the U.K.? Thanks for sharing.

Glad to say that what the EU has to say about ammunition is so much frog-f*rt now that the UK has left the EU. However, the do-gooders still around in the UK might well still have some influence. I'll do some looking into it, as, I'm sure, a few others on this site who suffer the slings and arrows of living in UK here may well do.

@ppg1949 - do you have any specific interest in what goes on, shooting-wise, in the UK? Do you come over here, as many Americans do, to shoot?

Glad to say that what the EU has to say about ammunition is so much frog-f*rt now that the UK has left the EU. However, the do-gooders still around in the UK might well still have some influence. I'll do some looking into it, as, I'm sure, a few others on this site who suffer the slings and arrows of living in UK here may well do.

@ppg1949 - do you have any specific interest in what goes on, shooting-wise, in the UK? Do you come over here, as many Americans do, to shoot?

TFoley, I have never been there but desire to come over some day. My paternal grandfather was from Leeds. His father had a confectionary shop there that was still open as of 2016 when it was put up for sale. I saw a picture of it on the internet. Yes, I am interested in the U.K. but nothing specific except Britsmoothy’s hunting photos. And I’m hooked on Agatha Christie’s and Ngaio Marsh’s books because they take place in the U.K., lol. Thanks for asking.

Difficult to do when the amount of ammunition you can buy and hold at any one time is regulated. We have yet to perfect home-loading for .22 rimfire.

Time to get into casting it would seem. Lead ingots don’t count.

Commiefornia has a lead ban for all hunting in the state. Shooting ranges are OK for lead. Later they tried to ban lead at ranges too, but it fell on its face. Too many drawbacks, especially the cost of ammo for police. Global elitists tend to think alike no matter where they are.

I have a question for the monitors, does this not fall in line of political discussions or does it not matter since it is dealing with the E.U. or perhaps it really does not matter since it will not effect our snow flake brethren democrats. TFoley better check your F.M.J. bullets as they may have lead cores. And yes I used the political term DEMOCRATS.

Lead ingots may be fine, but since most of us can only shoot on an official range of it gets banned we are stuffed.
Welcome to Britain, part of the 'free world' .....more like third world!
Get a smoothbore and go rabbit hunting instead, other than that roll over and play submission like we have in the UK for centuries!

The trouble with the UK shooter on the lead shot is mainly because he has nobody to fight his case .Yes there are shooting organisation to many in fact of which some are in favour of the lead shot ban
Feltwad

Welcome to Britain, part of the 'free world' .....more like third world!
Get a smoothbore and go rabbit hunting instead, other than that roll over and play submission like we have in the UK for centuries!
I already have a smoothbore which I use to scare pigeons. (Having now taken it to the range and shot prb at a target it shoots low I now see why they were merely scared).

I have a question for the monitors, does this not fall in line of political discussions or does it not matter since it is dealing with the E.U. or perhaps it really does not matter since it will not effect our snow flake brethren democrats. TFoley better check your F.M.J. bullets as they may have lead cores. And yes I used the political term DEMOCRATS.

Sorry, this isn't meant to be political, I don't care which flavour party is voting for this, it's more of a heads up that this could spell the end of muzzle loading in the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back