• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late season Illinois gobbler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's the 5th season here in Illinois for spring turkeys. My area has been tough this year. There are birds around, but they won't come to call, and ignore decoys.

May 1st, I headed out while still dark, and set up right in the middle of the flock. I put 1 hen decoy at the edge of an open bean field. As it started to get light; there were hens and gobblers sounding off all around me. However; when they flew down, they all landed 100 yards out in the field.

The gobblers called and strutted when they saw the decoy, but wouldn't come closer. finally, they moved over the hill, out of sight. I took out my home made box call, and gave a couple loud yelps. No response, so I laid back to wait for the flocks' return later in the morning. I almost drifted off, when I heard a loud PUTT. I saw 2 gobblers standing at what I though was 30 yards. I managed to get the gun up without spooking them, and BOOM!

It turned out, the shot was more like 40 yards. I was lucky to kill him at that range.

P5010690 by okawbow, on Flickr

Okawbow, way to go!

Has to be satisfying to get that late gobbler.

Fields can sure be deceiving where range estimations are concerned. :hmm:. Glad ya got him!!! :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

Congrats on a fine bird :hatsoff: :hatsoff: . I have turkey hunted 35 yrs an have fell asleep more than once to wake up an hear drumming an get lucky enough to kill the longbeard.

My fowler is a late flint style 12 gauge I made for myself, using parts I had lying around. It has a 30" barrel from a modern single barrel shotgun, converted to flint. Weighs in right at 5 lbs. it has some choke to it.

I used 85 grains 2F, 2 1/8" card wads, a 95 grain measure of #6 shot, and a single 1/8" card wad over the shot. This load is heavier than my normal load, but I don't notice the recoil when shooting turkeys. It throws a nice, even pattern and will penetrate a can well at 40 yards.

Back