• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late season gobbler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to score on a nice tom. Sitting Fox kit, 54 smoothie. #6 shot at about 20 yards. Thanks for looking!
74F5E6F6-256E-4654-AEB7-F66FB5F34365_zpsxq2qvztk.jpg

Congrats :thumbsup: Fine looking bird and flintlock. I like the stain of the wood :hatsoff:

Congratulations! :thumbsup: Gets pretty tough getting well into May like this. Nice picture...beautiful bird with the sun shining off those feathers like that.

What's the turkey load in that .54 smoothie? I see you said #6's, but what's the rest of the numbers?

My load is 80grs of FFFG, thick overpowder wad, a Circle fly cushion wad,lubed with beeswax. I use my powder measure for shot also, that works out to 11/4 oz #6 shot wrapped in a butcher paper tube, tied on both ends with string. Before I ram the shot home, I tear off the top tie, leaving the front of the shot cup open, and top that with two cards over shot. It gives a tight, consistent pattern. I prime with FFFG from the horn. :thumbsup:

Congratulations on your successful hunt. That is one fine looking bird and a good looking fowler. What stain did you use that gives it a nice red glow, aqua fortis? Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words all. I used Fiebing's alcohol based leather dye. Undercoat of cordovan, steel wooled almost all of it off, and topped with maroon. Topped with spar urethane.

Congrats! I have a Flinter with a 33 1/2 inch barrel that I just had bore out to a .54 smoothbore. I haven't shot it yet, but I have #5, #6,#3 buck and patch and round Ball. Have you experimented with other loads?

Very good; congratulations. I also like the color of the gun stock; I have a .40 that has that identical color.

Nice tom and a beautiful smoothie! I'm going to give your butcher paper shot loading method a try. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back