• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LATE LANCASTER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The Lancaster School rifles with their straight comb seem to represent the forefathers of the modern rifle stock.
This rifle represents that school in the Late era and is patterened after the guns of Melchior Fordney (????-Oct 17 1846). I would place this rifle in the 1840s if I had to guess.
As a side note, we know the exact date of his death because on that day his neighbor killed him with an axe after he tried to stop the neighbor from killing his (the neighbors) horse. (The killer was hung).

Fordneys guns often used checkering on the wrist but the kind of checkering of those days was mainly for decoration. It is not the sharply cut type we think of today.
He also used the multi piece patch box with wood showing between the lid from the strips above and below it.
Several of his guns are shown in J.B.Whiskers "Gunsmiths of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania" and indeed these were the basis for my rifle.
Note, I never try to produce an exact copy of the Masters Works as there is no way my talents compare with theirs. I use their works for inspiration only.

The rifle was made from Pecatonica Rifle "Late Lancaster" #3 Curly Maple with a .50 Cal Green Mountain barrel, modified Siler lock and Davis Set Triggers. All Furniture is German Silver. She was born in 1999.
I tapped the barrel tang for a rear peep sight but I have never found one which is appropriate.
R_FORD.jpg

L_FORD.jpg

R_BUTT_FORD.jpg

L_BUTT_FORD.jpg

Another beauty! Zonie... They are sure enough beautiful rifles. Very interesting commentary also. How long is the barrel on this one?

Ironwood: Again, a humble thank you for your comment.
The barrel length on all of my guns except the Transitional, a Northampton Co Boys rifle (.36 cal) and a Schuetzen are standard 42 inch straight barrels. I haven't posted the Boys Rifle or the Schuetzen yet.

The Transitional is a .54 cal. swamped 37 inch Getz, the Boys Rifle is a 13/16 straight Green Mountain cut to 38 inches and the Schuetzen is a 1 inch .40 cal. 32 inchs long. I was told it was built by someone down in Florida. Whoever built it he made a tack driver!

I am currently working on what will be a cut off Colerain .54 Swamped barreled gun.
Again, Thanks.

It's a fine one 'zonie. You really do have to let me baby sit one of those for you. It'll be here when you want it and I'll treat it as if it's my own. REALLY!

Beautiful work, Zonie. Love your pics of the rifles you built. What are we going to do after you post your final one (I think you said you built 9)? You'll just have to pick up the pace and build some more to show us admirers out there.

Back