• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late flint English rifle for Tony

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Boy, this gun took much, much longer than I ever anticipated. So many details to learn and try to get right. Anyway, it is done. The barrel is 54 cal straight tapered from Charlie Burton. The lock is a heavily modified and improved Davis late flintlock. The trigger guard was made from a standard cast steel English guard from TOW. The butt plate is iron from an original 19th century gun. The nose cap is ebony and the ramrod tip is horn. All of the hardware on the stock was engraved and charcoal blued. The breech of 4140 steel was made by my neighbor and charcoal blued. The standing breech was made from a cast steel one copied from an original and sold by TRS. The stock is English walnut from Ron Scott, stained mostly with powdered alkanet root infused in mineral spirits (my own blend). The finish is Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil. It is a bit glossier in the photos than in rear life. It was a real challenge because the workmanship on these guns was only the best. I think I got it right but then I have been too close to it for so long that my objectivity is not reliable. Enjoy.
dave
MNwjAno.jpg

mAI4vez.jpg

cMQJ3Mh.jpg
[/URL]
DFWssoB.jpg

Z9cuxvu.jpg

8eWp1gK.jpg

YQtpbvE.jpg

qNF0RGm.jpg

2uLC2kj.jpg

4Il9GUL.jpg

KWDPoNO.jpg

zqrkxcI.jpg

hMoO9Uw.jpg

xES8ufA.jpg

EdfaK0l.jpg

lrotuYA.jpg

Awesome, thanks for posting the photos. Saaaayy, you by any chance looking to adopt ? I am really good at chores and helping out. Just a thought.

Only a true artist would question whether he got it right. Looking at the pics of your rifles and fowlers makes me totaly awestruck every time. And, even more better, I have one in the safe I can take out and look at or shoot anytime I want. :) This one is truly beautiful. BTW, your comments about the lock and trigger being improved are a modest understatement. I know.

Started typing and phone rang , any idea of how may hours in your fine work, it is really nice.

Things dreams are made of.

Hi,
Thank you all for your interest and kind comments. The gun was a challenge. I could not stand to see that the standing breech tang bolt had a slot badly off center. I don't know how I missed that. Anyway, I replaced it today:
CzT2aMf.jpg

FishDFly, I don't know how much time it took given I had to research and learn a lot of new skills. That required practice on scrap wood or old stocks. However, if I started a new one today, it probably would take over 200 hours, particularly considering any proper lock out there has to be totally worked over or built new from castings.

dave

Hi Dave,

Having done a little checkering on gun stock wood myself, though no where near equal of yours, that is very nice checkering.

The overall impression that rifle makes is awe inspiring and I agree you have accomplished and even surpassed the challenge you set for yourself.

Since I cannot do what you do, I very much appreciate you and others who continue to keep the gun making traditions going in such fine style.

Actually if it were up to me, there would be a Modern School of Gunmaking in your name.

Gus

Hi,
Boy, this gun took much, much longer than I ever anticipated. So many details to learn and try to get right. Anyway, it is done. The barrel is 54 cal straight tapered from Charlie Burton. The lock is a heavily modified and improved Davis late flintlock. The trigger guard was made from a standard cast steel English guard from TOW. The butt plate is iron from an original 19th century gun. The nose cap is ebony and the ramrod tip is horn. All of the hardware on the stock was engraved and charcoal blued. The breech of 4140 steel was made by my neighbor and charcoal blued. The standing breech was made from a cast steel one copied from an original and sold by TRS. The stock is English walnut from Ron Scott, stained mostly with powdered alkanet root infused in mineral spirits (my own blend). The finish is Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil. It is a bit glossier in the photos than in rear life. It was a real challenge because the workmanship on these guns was only the best. I think I got it right but then I have been too close to it for so long that my objectivity is not reliable. Enjoy.
dave
MNwjAno.jpg

mAI4vez.jpg

cMQJ3Mh.jpg
[/URL]
DFWssoB.jpg

Z9cuxvu.jpg

8eWp1gK.jpg

YQtpbvE.jpg

qNF0RGm.jpg

2uLC2kj.jpg

4Il9GUL.jpg

KWDPoNO.jpg

zqrkxcI.jpg

hMoO9Uw.jpg

xES8ufA.jpg

EdfaK0l.jpg

lrotuYA.jpg

Dave, as usual, your workmanship is superb! I am nearing completion on my first from scratch build, like you taking much longer than expected; I hope to someday come close to your work, but I fear it will never be.

Only you could find the tang bolt slightly off center; I would be pleased as punch to complete such a rifle. My hat's off to you.

Hi,
Thank you all for your interest and kind comments. The gun was a challenge. I could not stand to see that the standing breech tang bolt had a slot badly off center. I don't know how I missed that. Anyway, I replaced it today:
CzT2aMf.jpg

FishDFly, I don't know how much time it took given I had to research and learn a lot of new skills. That required practice on scrap wood or old stocks. However, if I started a new one today, it probably would take over 200 hours, particularly considering any proper lock out there has to be totally worked over or built new from castings.

dave

Thanks, was wondering on how many hours you have invested.

Back before the days of correctness happened and women were ranked on a scale of 1 to 10. Bo Derek being a 10, your rifle is a 10.

Congratulations, Dave, on another very fine rifle. Looking through the pics, my eyes cannot even begin to absorb all the fine details. Each time I look, I see some other little detail I missed before. I think I looked three times before I saw the brown bear head on the tang! Amazing!

Mike

Back