• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Late English locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naphtali

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm ferreting out what I refer to as an "extremely late English lock." Pedersoli's Mortimer rifle/shotgun lock appears to fulfill my want. But except for a brief handling of a friend's Mortimer Rifle nearly 20 years ago, I've neither examined nor shot one.

Aside from price, does this lock have design problems that obstruct or interfere with its long-term use?

Does the lock have quality control issues?
I guess I want to know whether reliability and usability issues should preclude me from buying the lock.

An opinion........I don't build much any more , but if I do , it's a scratch build. I use , for smaller cal. ,like squirrel guns , .40 cal , and under I have used an L and R Manton flint lock. Makes a long thin small cal. longrifle with little English influence import lock. ......Next , for a mid 18th century longrifle with a larger , robust non Germanic , English-Dutch import lock influence, I've used the L and R flat face trade gun flint lock. It's a larger flat face flint lock , also seen on English , and some Dutch guns F and I war period. Also , L and R , as well as Larry Zorns /Log Cabin Shop make quality Germanic style , American long rifle locks. All these locks function well. I have them on my personal hunting long rifles.

I have the L&R late English on a fowling gun. Nice looking lock, but it is temperamental about the length of flint -I have to find shorter ones. If it's just a bit too long the frizzen won't close fully at half cock and won't spring open when fired. Reading a couple previous posts I'm wondering if the sear may be the issue.

I have the L&R late English on a fowling gun. Nice looking lock, but it is temperamental about the length of flint -I have to find shorter ones. If it's just a bit too long the frizzen won't close fully at half cock and won't spring open when fired. Reading a couple previous posts I'm wondering if the sear may be the issue.
Yes, i had the same problems and had to use a 3/4” square flint or the frizzen wouldn’t close or the top jaw would rub the frizzen. I sent mine in for the longer sear and now i can use the 3/4-7/8 flints bevel up and the frizzen will close fully at half cock and the flint scrapes instead of bashes.

I owned a Pedersoli Mortimer in 54 caliber. It was a super heavy rifle or I would have kept it.
Again this is a sample of 1, but that was the best lock I ever had. Quick, ultra reliable, and easy on flints. It was also good in the wet, reliable for hunting in wet snow.

Hi,
The Pedersoli Mortimer lock is a good lock and I am not aware of any quality control issues. It deserves a little tuning to bring it up to a standard close to the originals, which it can do. The sliding safety mechanism is a modern design and does not copy the bar, lug, and spring mechanisms used on the originals. Still it works fine and you cannot tell the difference from the outside.

dave

Back