• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Late 1800's California rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my first FINISHED scratch built rifle. ( screwed up two others ) I started it years ago... maple half stock, L&R back action, 1" GM .54 barrel, TC triggers and modified trigger guard. Patchbox & other brass inlays I scratch built. Got it 95% done but then it sat in my closet for 7 years in the white. Finally got tired of seeing it there and sent it off to Black Hart for Ed Parry to finish for me. He added the nose cap, entry thimble, barrel lugs and a little engraving. He wanted to engrave my name on it but I asked that he sign it instead and just put a "J" on the patchbox for Johnson. This weekend I plan to finally get it on paper and will let you know how it shoots.
California__rifle.jpg
California_rifle.jpg
toe_plate.jpg
cheek_piece.jpg
Parry_sig.jpg

Hey Liver, I really like your rifle. Good work. Maybe I could get you to build one for my grandson. Mind you, I dont have one yet, but by the time the gun is ready I should have one, ready to go hunting. :haha:

I like it! :applause: I often thought about building a back action but never have. Your rifle is the first I've really studied around the lock area, the way the front sweeps down and back to the wrist, looks good. The rifles I've built all use the standard style flint or percussion lock's, so there is quite a mind set difference in the lock area and back to the wrist. I'm impressed! :applause:

Thanks Ohio Joe! My insperation came from a book by Lawrence P. Shelton call "California Gunsmithing 1846-1900" , Far Far West Publishers. (Don't know if they are still available - mine is a first edition numbered book - 438 of 1500 I bought from Ted Fellows when he had his shop in Seattle) I always wondered where TC came up with their so called Hawken Rifle idea and spotted several examples in the book very similar in style. I liked back action locks which were fairly common for that era. Here is a couple of snap shots of a TC style rifle, a back action rifle of that period and the book they are pictured in. Hope you get to make one - TOW still has the L&R back action locks listed in their latest catalog.
TC_lookalike.jpg
Golcher_rifle.jpg
book.jpg
catalog.

Ya did good Mr. Johnson I like it too anybody in their right mind would like it!

Did you get a chance to check mine out on this same page Flinters in Progress. 21 pics.

"The Chuckster" :: ::

Beautiful Rifle!!
Was the lock "Color Case Hardened" or "Colored" (like several of my locks are) by selective heating?

Speaking of back action locks, Joe Meek's "Old Sally" was a back action.

Nice looking piece ya got there.
Now all ya have to do is go make some meat with that gun.

I'll second rusty on re: the finish. Easy on the gloss, guess it could be described as a "satin"? Very well done.

Regards, sse

lej
you did good, that some very good looking wood :thumbsup:
snake-eyes :m2c:

Same thing snake-eyes said.

I've looked at his picture several times w/o comment. Now it's got the best of me, and one little item comes to mind every time I see it.

I do like the shadow line on the cheek piece, and think I may just do the same to the one I will be starting soon. I'm certainly not one for PC, Albeit, I do like to think those terms at times, but I do have to wonder if the shadow line showed up on other riles, perhaps some that were PC? How long has the shadow line been around????
California, to me, means style, extravagant, show, heavy on the looks thing, weatherby, etc, etc, know what I mean? There is a hundred reasons for owning a "California" rifle, and I like'em all.
Nice rifle IMHO.
Russ

LEJ, that is a beautiful rifle! That is a very graceful treatment of the lock panel. I'll bet it shoots as good as it looks, too! I had that book from the interlibrary loan and liked some of those rifles so much I copied pictures of five of them. They are really graceful.

Back