Quantcast

Late 15th c Portuguese arms

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

johannes

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am asking out of curiosity. Does anyone know much about the types of firearms available to the Portuguese during the last quarter or so if the 15th c?

Also,
Is there anyone out there that currently makes working replicas of firearms from this time period?

Thank you

kje54

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am asking out of curiosity. Does anyone know much about the types of firearms available to the Portuguese during the last quarter or so if the 15th c?

Also,
Is there anyone out there that currently makes working replicas of firearms from this time period?

Thank you
Most likely an Arquebus (matchlock) which I think was the standard all across Europe and England at the time. I know the Rifle Shop has a "kit" and Loyalist Arms has a fully built and functional one.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/matchlockmusket.html

johannes

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Thank you. I think the stock is a later time period style?

Treestalker

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the Portuguese who landed at Tanegashima in Japan in 1543 had 'snapping' matchlocks which the Japanese copied and used until the middle of the 1800's. Not sure about dates but the snapping version evidently didn't last long in Europe and the regular 'backwards' operating matchlocks dominated. The snapping versions had some unique looking stocks on them; I've been tempted to try building one. I think they were fired with small sticks of wood 'match' rather than match-cord. Good Luck in your endeavor and please keep us posted!

Last edited: