• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Last weekend meat hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was last week of the season here in tx except for mld which goes till end of feb. I took the wife and kids to fort mackavitt for little hunting and fishing. They were taking deer left and right and a couple hogs thrower in so decided it was my turn to make smoke.

I got in bow blind at 4pm and wasn’t just a few minutes and had 5 little shoats come by they were less than 20 pounds and some still had their racing stripes so I gave them a pass as I was huntin a doe. Next a 2 1/2 yo 8pt came by at 20 yds, next a 4.5 yo 8pt came right behind the other. Then about a hr later a big mature 10 pt was standing at 20yds, he stuck around a few minutes and then eased on off, then close to dark a group of does came in and I had one at 15yds so I eased the hammer back on the navy arms buffalo hunter 58. She was slightly quartered away and I let her have it hitting just behind shoulder and breaking the offside shoulder, she ran about 40yds and did a flip. 80gr of Goex 3fg with 570 roundball made a nice big hole that I could eat right up too. Had a good blood trail though I didn’t need it.

Attachments

• 2CD9E589-3B13-42EB-A456-2E6DE8085E3B.jpeg
    2CD9E589-3B13-42EB-A456-2E6DE8085E3B.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
This was last week of the season here in tx except for mld which goes till end of feb. I took the wife and kids to fort mackavitt for little hunting and fishing. They were taking deer left and right and a couple hogs thrower in so decided it was my turn to make smoke.

I got in bow blind at 4pm and wasn’t just a few minutes and had 5 little shoats come by they were less than 20 pounds and some still had their racing stripes so I gave them a pass as I was huntin a doe. Next a 2 1/2 yo 8pt came by at 20 yds, next a 4.5 yo 8pt came right behind the other. Then about a hr later a big mature 10 pt was standing at 20yds, he stuck around a few minutes and then eased on off, then close to dark a group of does came in and I had one at 15yds so I eased the hammer back on the navy arms buffalo hunter 58. She was slightly quartered away and I let her have it hitting just behind shoulder and breaking the offside shoulder, she ran about 40yds and did a flip. 80gr of Goex 3fg with 570 roundball made a nice big hole that I could eat right up too. Had a good blood trail though I didn’t need it.

I think im gonna try that 80 grain 3F load you mentioned ive been using 80 gr of OE 2F with a wonder wad over powder and beaneath ball and patch in the Hawken .58

I think im gonna try that 80 grain 3F load you mentioned ive been using 80 gr of OE 2F with a wonder wad over powder and beaneath ball and patch in the Hawken .58

Yeah you gave a great deal on it and it shoots well, the load works well for me I tried pillow ticking but it was to thick and couldn’t load them, ended up using light cotton patch with beeswax/crisco lube. It shoots the trashcan bullet just as well but I didn’t have any cast up as I had shot them all

Yeah you gave a great deal on it and it shoots well, the load works well for me I tried pillow ticking but it was to thick and couldn’t load them, ended up using light cotton patch with beeswax/crisco lube. It shoots the trashcan bullet just as well but I didn’t have any cast up as I had shot them all
if you need some for a hunt ive got some trash cans you made me ive got a lee real .58 mold and a .562 mold as well

those 440 gr REAL shoot real well out of mine 80 gr 2F wonder wad over the powder, recoil is about medium havent shot the trash can or the .575-500 out of this barrel as its bigger my barrel likes .018 patch with roundbal and if i swab .020 with a .570 shoots better than what my abilities are

I had the buff dirty last week n it would take force just to seat ball n it would stay in place n unpatched ball still shot to point of aim. Blowed up little short and armadillo on the way out of scrapping. Wouldn’t even start in barrel with pt, mine shoots trashcan good but 575-500 hits sideways, gonna try 575-500 in hawken barrel when I get it

I bought my first one from TURNER KIRKLAND at THE WALTER CLINE RANGE BACK IN 1965. he had a small little booth at the shoot. I shot it on the line.

Back