• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Last Powder for a While

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After the announcement of the Goex closure most of us know there is a huge run on black powder. I was extremely lucky to snag 10 lbs of Graf’s 3Fg from the Graf and Son’s website a few days ago not long after the news broke. It arrived today:

4D51BD0E-0AD5-460B-B0CF-AAE20620A214.jpeg

This’ll bring me up to about 22 1/2 lbs total. Mostly 3Fg, a few lbs of 2Fg. By my calculations this is about a 3-4 years supply for me. I’m hoping and praying the black powder market still exists by that time. I love this hobby and do not want to call it quits anytime soon if I can help it. Take care all and keep your head up, and your powder dry.

-Smokey

I got my 10# of 2F OE, still waiting on the 4# of 3F. For some reason it did not come in same box, but they said it has shipped, but was supposed to be here yesterday... I will have to call on Monday again.

After the announcement of the Goex closure most of us know there is a huge run on black powder. I was extremely lucky to snag 10 lbs of Graf’s 3Fg from the Graf and Son’s website a few days ago not long after the news broke. It arrived today:

View attachment 98424

This’ll bring me up to about 22 1/2 lbs total. Mostly 3Fg, a few lbs of 2Fg. By my calculations this is about a 3-4 years supply for me. I’m hoping and praying the black powder market still exists by that time. I love this hobby and do not want to call it quits anytime soon if I can help it. Take care all and keep your head up, and your powder dry.

-Smokey
I have a number of pounds, also. I love the lines of the 1860 Colt, and the handiness of the 1851 Navy. Great buy! Good luck! I do find the grip of the ROA somewhat small for the size and weight of the pistol. I bet the 'rubber' grips are really comfortable. Thanks for posting the cool photo!

Question to y'all. I assume SOMEONE will fill the US black powder niche within the next 5 years. That being said, for the sorry sods like me who only have a couple pounds of 3 and 2 F, would some of y'all be willing to part with a pound or two to keep someone like me in the hobby?

I'm not trying to solicit powder. I'm just trying to put a gauge on sharing stockpiles if it comes down to it.

This goes beyond adult competitive shooters. The NRA was having trouble finding caps to introduce youngsters, i.e., the next generation of BP shooters, to our hobby. I imagine a powder AND cap shortage will not help.

Just gauging.

I have a number of pounds, also. I love the lines of the 1860 Colt, and the handiness of the 1851 Navy. Great buy! Good luck! I do find the grip of the ROA somewhat small for the size and weight of the pistol. I bet the 'rubber' grips are really comfortable. Thanks for posting the cool photo!

Thanks! The wood grips for the ROA look ideal, but as you said it’s a front heavy pistol and does not balance well. The ‘51 Navy grip frame works great on the slender Colt’s but the Ruger boasts a lot of steel out there.

The rubber Pachmayrs look ugly, but are much more hand feeling. Combined with the grippy rubber they improve handling 100%. It honestly makes the pistol feel lighter than it does. Also absorbs recoil nicely.

Question to y'all. I assume SOMEONE will fill the US black powder niche within the next 5 years. That being said, for the sorry sods like me who only have a couple pounds of 3 and 2 F, would some of y'all be willing to part with a pound or two to keep someone like me in the hobby?

I'm not trying to solicit powder. I'm just trying to put a gauge on sharing stockpiles if it comes down to it.

This goes beyond adult competitive shooters. The NRA was having trouble finding caps to introduce youngsters, i.e., the next generation of BP shooters, to our hobby. I imagine a powder AND cap shortage will not help.

Just gauging.

I would for sure be willing to lend a pound to a fellow in need. But shipping black powder for the “average Joe” is illegal from what I understand, so it’d have to be local.

I was thinking the other day; I think I have my emuzzloaders designated to the right folk it I croak unexpectedly, if I still have a good stock of powder the people who get the guns will get something to make them shoot as well.

View attachment 98424

-Smokey
lucky you! you snooze you loose!

I got my 10# of 2F OE, still waiting on the 4# of 3F. For some reason it did not come in same box, but they said it has shipped, but was supposed to be here yesterday... I will have to call on Monday again.
how much was the hazardous shipping fee?

I have no info about the income of making and sales of black powder, but if it is a profitable business some one will take on the manufacture and support our sport. There are many fireworks companies in the USA and this administration seems to want new startups. Small business loans over $1,000,000.00 are almost a sure bet. Keep the faith. Keep calm and Fix bayonets!

I have no info about the income of making and sales of black powder, but if it is a profitable business some one will take on the manufacture and support our sport. There are many fireworks companies in the USA and this administration seems to want new startups. Small business loans over $1,000,000.00 are almost a sure bet. Keep the faith. Keep calm and Fix bayonets!

There is a movement for banks to not loan money to those in or wanting to be in the freedom industry. Much of this behavior is driven by politicians in one particular party.

You don’t really think the current administration has the slightest interest in seeing another gunpowder making business start up, do you?

There is a movement for banks to not loan money to those in or wanting to be in the freedom industry. Much of this behavior is driven by politicians in one particular party.
I’ll bet trying to find an insurance carrier would be fun, too.
Can’t operate a business when insurance companies are too afraid of the political blowback to touch you with a ten foot pole.

Back