Last of the Mohicans??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
I have to add a locally produced independent movie based on an incident that happened in St. Genevieve, Missouri, "Under These Same Stars". The budget was so low that they actually had to film on location in St. Genevieve. The indoor sets were inside buildings that were constructed during the period of the movie. A lot of the dialog was taken from Spanish records recorded during the investigation of the incident. Many of the actors were reenactors who contributed greatly to the authenticity of the material objects used in the filming. The music for the movie was performed by musicians who specialized on the French folk music of the 1770's and earlier.

It's probably just me, but I enjoyed the companion music CD to "Under These Same Stars" more enjoyable than the soundtrack from the DDL version of LOTM.

tiklikker

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I enjoyed "Mohicans" much more than Revenant. Revenant lost points with me in the bear attack. Glass had cocked his riifle and the frizzen was closed before the bear attacked. After the bear knocked the rifle away and made the first attack. Then he left and Glass recovered his rifle, laying on its side still cocked, with the frizzen open. He rolled over closing the frizzen and pointing it at the bear, and shot the bear. I also seem to remember Glass taking a second pistol shot without reloading, during the earlier Indian battle. Basic flintlock stuff. Come on Man!

Youngblood

40 Cal
Reaction score
Last of the Mohicans is great. That music was wonderful. The spin move lewis does when he twirls his gun slug on his shoulder to take aim, classic!
My gal and i just watched it again the other day.

We have noticed small edits that are needless and these are on movie channels. When he says “i aint your scout and sure as hell aint in no damn militia” cut on some.
When he enters fort and they ask if he joined and he says “just dropped in to see how you boys was doing” is cut. Little stuff like that. I dont get it.

And we debate the fort love scene, are they just kissing or “dry rubbing” or are they doing “it” clothed? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The only thing we dont like, why couldnt Uncas wait two freakin minutes for his dad and brother?

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed “Last of the Mohegans”, and have watched it quite a few times. While I did like “The Revenant”, the cinematography and context were, IMO, quite “dark”, and while perhaps realistic for the times, did not leave me with the same sense of appreciation or allure that the Last of the Mohegan left me with. That’s Hollywood!

Reaction score
Watched that movie again for about the 5 th. time. :thumb: :cool:
Seems to me like the rifles are "longer" than what we see these days? I have a 5 footer but those in the movie seem longer.
Opinions from anybody that really knows?
I read where a custom maker built a couple for the movie The Patriot; they had long, historically correct barrels, but the director wanted them chopped down! The maker refused, so they had some hack cut them in length. I believe this was written up in an issue of Muzzleloader magazine a couple years back.

Reaction score
The movie Mohican rifle , is a Pa. Lehigh Co. shape gun , and is said to have Iron hardware , and a long barrel. I'm building one from the stock shaper's original pattern , with brass hardware.

TraderVic

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've owned the DVD for some time and watch it 3 or 4 times a year, always enjoyable.
Is it true one can extend the range a bit using a silk patch, as suggested in the movie ?

Siringo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I enjoyed "Mohicans" much more than Revenant. Revenant lost points with me in the bear attack. Glass had cocked his riifle and the frizzen was closed before the bear attacked. After the bear knocked the rifle away and made the first attack. Then he left and Glass recovered his rifle, laying on its side still cocked, with the frizzen open. He rolled over closing the frizzen and pointing it at the bear, and shot the bear. I also seem to remember Glass taking a second pistol shot without reloading, during the earlier Indian battle. Basic flintlock stuff. Come on Man!
99.99% of the general public that sees these movies with or without nitpicking changes, would not be able to discern the difference. I enjoyed both of these. In fact the “Revenant” prompted me to buy a custom flintlock.

I enjoyed Top Gun Maverick too, but an F18 is lightly beyond my means.

Reaction score
I enjoyed “Last of the Mohicans’. I’ve watched it many many times.

I’ve also enjoyed “Texas Rising”…the was a good TV Series.…along the lines of “Lonesome Dove” and the Kevin Costner TV Series. “Hayfields & McCoys”…all great entertainment.
Costner's Yellowstone (modern times) is great, too.