Last of the Mohicans??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Old Hawkeye

45 Cal.
Reaction score

Why all the hate on the Revenant?

Hollywood rewrote a TRUE story & lied to their audience. They took a great event about struggle, perseverance, & eventually forgiveness & atonement, & made it a story of hate & murder. There was no reason what so ever to change history, as the truth was a better story. The ending of the movie was a total fabrication. Thank goodness I didn't have to pay money to see it.

beyu

Pilgrim
Reaction score
North West Passage would be a great film to re do
Northwest Passage is one of my favorite movies! AND I live in New Hampshire; the home of Major Robert Rogers and most of his Rangers. He has always been a hero here.

BUT — there is a problem with the story of Rogers' raid on St. Francis. There is evidence that he LIED about the effectiveness of the raid. The effort WAS EXTRAORDINARY; moving a great distance through enemy territory and remaining undiscovered by the Indians and the French. He attacked St. Francis at dawn and found that most of the warriors were not in the village, but had gone on a hunt. According to the Abenaki tradition about the raid, the village was warned by one of Rogers' Indian scouts before the attack began, and most of the women, children and old folks had gone into hiding. Rogers greatly exaggerated the raid, claiming his men had killed large numbers of warriors — when in fact; according to the Abenakis themselves, his men had killed only a few women, children and old people.

WHY the LIE? Two reasons:

(1) Rogers was always a self promoter, and he was trying to gain support from King George for his planned search for — a Northwest Passage to the Orient through the American continent as soon as the war was won.

(2) Rogers Rangers' return from the St. Francis Raid turned into a death march, losing nearly half the men. The supplies they left with their boats were found by the enemy and they were forced to make their return with depleted rations. They starved. By the time they made it to the abandoned and run-down Old Fort Number Four most of the men were unable to travel further, as was shown in the film. Rogers heroically built a raft and floated downriver to the nearest town to get help for his men. When the news of the raid came out, Rogers HAD to claim a great victory to justify his losses.

By the way, I don't mean to disparage Rogers reputation. He WAS a great frontier leader. He DID basically invent guerrilla warfare and then prove its value to the British. He did great work during the French and Indian War. The St. Francis Raid was intended to be a crowning achievement — but his intended targets were absent.

It's too bad he chose the wrong side in the American War of Independence. If he had sided with his fellow Americans, his name would be immortal.

1BadDart

40 Cal
Reaction score
Northwest Passage is one of my favorite movies! AND I live in New Hampshire; the home of Major Robert Rogers and most of his Rangers. He has always been a hero here.

BUT — there is a problem with the story of Rogers' raid on St. Francis. There is evidence that he LIED about the effectiveness of the raid. The effort WAS EXTRAORDINARY; moving a great distance through enemy territory and remaining undiscovered by the Indians and the French. He attacked St. Francis at dawn and found that most of the warriors were not in the village, but had gone on a hunt. According to the Abenaki tradition about the raid, the village was warned by one of Rogers' Indian scouts before the attack began, and most of the women, children and old folks had gone into hiding. Rogers greatly exaggerated the raid, claiming his men had killed large numbers of warriors — when in fact; according to the Abenakis themselves, his men had killed only a few women, children and old people.

WHY the LIE? Two reasons:

(1) Rogers was always a self promoter, and he was trying to gain support from King George for his planned search for — a Northwest Passage to the Orient through the American continent as soon as the war was won.

(2) Rogers Rangers' return from the St. Francis Raid turned into a death march, losing nearly half the men. The supplies they left with their boats were found by the enemy and they were forced to make their return with depleted rations. They starved. By the time they made it to the abandoned and run-down Old Fort Number Four most of the men were unable to travel further, as was shown in the film. Rogers heroically built a raft and floated downriver to the nearest town to get help for his men. When the news of the raid came out, Rogers HAD to claim a great victory to justify his losses.

By the way, I don't mean to disparage Rogers reputation. He WAS a great frontier leader. He DID basically invent guerrilla warfare and then prove its value to the British. He did great work during the French and Indian War. The St. Francis Raid was intended to be a crowning achievement — but his intended targets were absent.

It's too bad he chose the wrong side in the American War of Independence. If he had sided with his fellow Americans, his name would be immortal.
I thought the whites leaned guerilla warfare from the Indians.

Bushfire

🇦🇺 Australia
Reaction score
I thought the whites leaned guerilla warfare from the Indians.
Guerilla warfare has been around for as long as war has been around.

The term guerilla itself I.e. little wars comes from the informal Spanish resistance against Napoleon's occupation of Spain. But that's neither here nor there.

docmel

36 Cl.
Reaction score
War history is taught by those that wrote it, and most the side that won the battle, and most of the folks that wrote it weren't even there, and most likley, wrote thier "History" decades, if not more, after the event happenened.....................

docmel

36 Cl.
Reaction score
No, the Indians did not invent Gfare........... It was developed by ALL folks/cultures thru history that were outgunned, outmanned and out resourced. When the chips are WAY down and you feel your freedom is threatened, you learn it on your own or you flee or die in place.