• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last of The Mohicans " Deerslayer " rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarlC

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just a happened to be browsing and happened to read several posts from people quoting to have knowlege both the rifle and of the rifle maker, I was amused at some of the comments from people supposedly with first hand knowledge. One person stated that the original builder, Wayne Watson, had stopped building rifles and started building furniture years ago, another that Wayne had passed away years ago, quite a few with first hand knowledge of how much he had been paid for each rifle and how many were turned down before one was accepted. I grew up with Wayne Watson, Wayne is alive and well, although like me he is getting older and after a fall and a broken shoulder a few years ago is now about ready to give up rifle building as he just completed a beautiful Marine Corps dedicated rifle, I talked to Wayne about 1/2 hour ago as I am considering purchasing the Marine rifle.
Wayne has told me the story of the movie and meeting Daniel Day Lewis and has shown me photos of them together with the rifle, he also told me that he is the one that trained them in the use of the rifle.
Wayne and I were neighbors in the 50s, he moved away and we lost contact with each other and then by chance became neighbors again in another state in 2017 ( small world )
He no longer maintains his website, but I think that he still has a copy of that rifle and if not I am sure that if the price is right he would probably be willing to build one.

I believe this rifle was built by Jerry Kirklin, of Birmingham, Michigan. Jerry retired to his old home in Indiana, Muncy I believe, a number of years ago.

Any chance of a picture of the Marine Corps rifle, also I was under the impression that Mark Baker worked with Daniel on the loading and such with the rifle.

Any chance of a picture of the Marine Corps rifle, also I was under the impression that Mark Baker worked with Daniel on the loading and such with the rifle.

From what I've read the three "Mohicans" - including DDL - had several mentors throughout the production. I'm sure Wayne gave them some general guidance. They also went through some sort survival boot camp. Lastly, it was Mark Baker who taught Daniel Day Lewis to load on the run as well as work up an accurate load for the rifle. He wrote about the experience in detail for Muzzleloader Magazine (and available of the Mohican Press website in 4 parts). An abridged version was included in one of Mark Baker's books. What I found interesting is that, according to Baker, Daniel Day Lewis got really good at loading on the run and shooting, all with live ammo. Just a short exert from the introduction of Baker's article:

"Michael Mann had somehow heard about me and asked his research department, Julia Kabrinsky in particular, to call me. Michael Mann was just finishing up a month with Daniel Day-Lewis, Russell Means and Eric Schweig at an "anti-terrorist training camp" in Alabama (if my memory serves me correct about the location). The three future stars of Last of the Mohicans had spent their time staying at a hunting lodge of sorts at night, shooting a variety of modern weapons during the day and skinning a deer, building a shelter, throwing tomahawks and starting a fire with flint and steel. They combined machine guns and 9mm with primitive skills. But the anti-terrorists never taught Daniel Day-Lewis how to use his Killdeer in a believable manner as an eighteenth-century woodsman. Although Daniel carried the rifle with him all the time (actually one of the prototypes), 24 hours a day, the "professionals" did not know about running and reloading, cleaning the weapon, sighting in, varying the loads, etc. Mann's research department had gone looking, at Mann's bidding, for someone who could teach the actor how to run and reload at the same time. They called Scurlock Publishing Company and Bill Scurlock gave them my name and phone number."

not good at taking pictures but here are a few of the Marine rifle

Attachments

• IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 194
  • eWL3c3eCSb+mZbPa7FR49g.jpg
    eWL3c3eCSb+mZbPa7FR49g.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 192
  • nlc0Ntu4RAO7htXog3qkwA.jpg
    nlc0Ntu4RAO7htXog3qkwA.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 200
  • dv2PLieiTTqq2teL+C9aKA.jpg
    dv2PLieiTTqq2teL+C9aKA.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 193
  • l+y5fb7IS2SaRphtr%52cw.jpg
    l+y5fb7IS2SaRphtr%52cw.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Z%4wK3B4SyWrtDE76Dcnhg.jpg
    Z%4wK3B4SyWrtDE76Dcnhg.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 205
  • iq7ly6o3Q7esyu7qY7f4Bw.jpg
    iq7ly6o3Q7esyu7qY7f4Bw.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 185
  • N34Jf56CQ++%X3l0XIPb7A.jpg
    N34Jf56CQ++%X3l0XIPb7A.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 178
  • zsZKF8%NToyzhS%6ABag3Q.jpg
    zsZKF8%NToyzhS%6ABag3Q.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 185
  • bsvWkHmRRN6T3QE%vlZrYA.jpg
    bsvWkHmRRN6T3QE%vlZrYA.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 178
Here are a few more and one of Wayne with Daniel Day Lewis and the Deerslayer rifle, what is your opinion of what this rifle is worth?

Attachments

• h08CD2pxR3KS55O%ys4FYw.jpg
    h08CD2pxR3KS55O%ys4FYw.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 197
  • NO+RozOZQqqQIFf0Y3Piow.jpg
    NO+RozOZQqqQIFf0Y3Piow.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 251
  • YZo5IMjrSKmRUBrlpHAtwA.jpg
    YZo5IMjrSKmRUBrlpHAtwA.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 256
Great rifle really shows a lot of thought went into the build especially like inlay of TUNN tavern, pictures were fine as a old MARINE I would be proud to own such a weapon. SEMPER FI

With the province and history of the rifle hard to say but a SWAG I would put it in the 5-6 thousand dollar range.

Won’t venture on value of the gun, but the bride and I spent the day hiking Chimney Rock in North Carolina, where a number of the mountain scenes in Last of the Mohicans were filmed. Nice weather, no crowd, plenty of rocks to climb.

I just a happened to be browsing and happened to read several posts from people quoting to have knowlege both the rifle and of the rifle maker, I was amused at some of the comments from people supposedly with first hand knowledge. One person stated that the original builder, Wayne Watson, had stopped building rifles and started building furniture years ago, another that Wayne had passed away years ago, quite a few with first hand knowledge of how much he had been paid for each rifle and how many were turned down before one was accepted. I grew up with Wayne Watson, Wayne is alive and well, although like me he is getting older and after a fall and a broken shoulder a few years ago is now about ready to give up rifle building as he just completed a beautiful Marine Corps dedicated rifle, I talked to Wayne about 1/2 hour ago as I am considering purchasing the Marine rifle.
Wayne has told me the story of the movie and meeting Daniel Day Lewis and has shown me photos of them together with the rifle, he also told me that he is the one that trained them in the use of the rifle.
Wayne and I were neighbors in the 50s, he moved away and we lost contact with each other and then by chance became neighbors again in another state in 2017 ( small world )
He no longer maintains his website, but I think that he still has a copy of that rifle and if not I am sure that if the price is right he would probably be willing to build one.
Glad to hear someone corrected that Wayne is alive and well! I also came across this while wanting to show my fiancé his work and called my cousin in a panic. She assured me Wayne is in fact just fine. :)

I have the two volumes of Pilgrims Journey by Mark Baker and there are photos of him with Daniel Day-Lewis on location.

Back